Topic

Bug Bivy Material

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bug Bivy Material

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

A few years ago Campmor offered a 2 ounce bug bivy that would be good against mosquitoes. I think I have figured out that it is made out of seed fabric, which is 0.5 ounces per yard. I think that using this material on top of tyvek or some other light weight ground cloth might make a neat sandwhich within which to put your bag

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I wonder if you're referring to something similar to the nonwoven stuff I use for bugs. It's row cover, ridiculously inexpensive, made to serve as a floating bug barrier for crops. The stuff I use is called Agryl P-10. It's 0.29 oz/yard (10g/sq.meter) and made of spunbonded polypropylene. It has poor tensile strength and has to be treated gently and replaced pretty frequently, but I like it. It absorbs no water and it's the lightest bug barrier I've found. It's also made under the brand name Covertan.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

You can get black "veil" material at Walmart. It's about 0.4 oz/sq.yd, but if you look at it, it's woven about 50% less densely than Thru Hiker's nanoseeum fabric. So maybe the noseeums and thrips could crawl through it, but it would definitely keep out mosquitoes and midges.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Colin that is the material

How do you use it?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I use it as a bug curtain. A four-foot-wide piece about twelve feet long is sewn to three of the four sides of my tarp, so I can pitch it high for a large, dry, bug-free space. When it's windy and I pitch the tarp low I bunch up the row cover and tie it to the tarp edge with grosgrain. The whole curtain (about five yards of fabric) weighs 1.4 ounces. It tears easily and has to be replaced about once a year, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools