Topic

Isle Royale in late June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Isle Royale in late June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

Has anyone visited Isle Royale in late June? If so, were you miserable or did you find a way to survive the bugs?

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

LOL, I think I just answered this question for you on PBF … but I'll post it here too in case others are interested.

I haven't visited in late June … but I have been there the first week or two of July for the last few years.

I understand that the black flies peak in June, but they are basically gone by early July. In early July the mosquitoes are in full swing. Fortunately, they respond to DEET, and I've also had success with the Picaridin in Cutter's. That said, I usually minimize the chemicals by relying on long sleeves and a bug net when they are swarming.

I would definitely bring a head net in June. Black flies don't seem to care about DEET, and if they are swarming when you are there it will be miserable without protection.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I visited the Island in early June, 2006 and the bugs had some members of our hiking party absolutely at wit's end. Obviously it varies from year to year.

The site below is THE definitive Isle Royale resource. You'll find some good answers/advice there.

http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/

Enjoy,
    Sam

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

Thanks Steve and Sam!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools