Topic

Will synthetics and down be obselete? Check this out!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Will synthetics and down be obselete? Check this out!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Hey – check out what I found:

http://www.kutv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=33288

Watch the video – it's a new form of insulation that fills tubes in your jacket/pants/etc with noble gases.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

It makes sense. Now, what about -40 sleeping bags?
    Does this mean my thermarest gets warmer with Argon? That's makes even more sense to me.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

The news broadcast neglected to address how breathability would be affected. The material needs to be airtight enough to hold the argon in. This would preclude passing of significantly larger water molecules (clumped/associated together by hydrogen bonding) in the vapor phase.

Thus, in active sports, such as skiing, things could get hot and steamy under the collar very quickly. And when it comes to winter outdoor activities, staying dry is more important than staying warm.

Guess the guy should have taken college chemistry after all…

Wayne Kraft

@waynekraft

I can fill my pants with noble gases just by eating a Mountain House freeze dried meal!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

michelin man

"Nooo!, keep that thorn away from me!"

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Very interesting idea. But…I have to agree with Chris, since the material will have to be air tight, it will not be breathable. I assume this will be like hiking with a vapor barrier on – something that doesn't work for me.
    However, until I try it, I'm still very interested. :)

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Even tubes of noble gases would have convection currents in them. Down and synthetics would minimize those convetion currents. They may not yet be obsolete.

David Wills

@willspower3

those guys have some pretty 'lofty' expectations (sorry)

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

bringing helium for insulation would do double duty by lightening your pack too!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools