Topic

Repackaging 4g Esbit Tabs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repackaging 4g Esbit Tabs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

If you are like me, and use the 4g Esbit tabs (2 at a time), nothing makes you more irate then the open packaging that they come in. Esbit crumbs everywhere, handling them with your hands…worry no longer….

Required Materials:
    materials

Mount the laminate in the machine and place backing paper and tablets on vacuum packaging machine surface
    paper

Turn on heat lamps, you'll know when the laminate is ready when it sags a few inches
    Turn it on

The vacuum sucks the laminate tight over the tablets
    Laminate pulled tight

Remove the tablets embedded in the laminate
    remove material

The finished tablets are cut into small squares and ready to roll
    Finished tablets

The backings didn't want to stay on, so I removed them and decided to try some packaging tape
    Remove backings

The finished product is air tight and packaged nicely
    Finished Product

Enjoy!!!

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

How would they be "airtight?" More like watertight, right?
    Couldn't you do the same with a Foodsaver and make them truly airtight?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

My apologies Michael – they are not air tight, as I took the backing off and replaced it. They are, as you stated, watertight. In reality, you could achieve the same results with a foodsaver, or even just putting them in tiny ziplock bags…but it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I had been thinking about doing this…and for some reason I thought I would share my work of art with the backpacking community ;)
    I had expected thousands of responses about how this was cutting edge technology, and eventually recieving boxes and boxes of tiny Esbit tabs to repackage for the world. I could quit my job and live off the profits! :)

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"They are, as you stated, watertight. In reality, you could achieve the same results with a foodsaver, or even just putting them in tiny ziplock bags…but it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I had been thinking about doing this…and for some reason I thought I would share my work of art with the backpacking community ;)"

Not to mention brag about the cool tools you have access to, eh? ;)

And, yes, I'm jealous. :D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools