Topic

Ideas for a trip in the Wind River Range…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ideas for a trip in the Wind River Range…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

We will be out over the July 4th weekend, so I'd prefer to be in the less-popular places. I've done the Big Sandy trailhead to Cirque of the Towers but thats it.

I'm thinking we might go to the New Fork Lake trailhead and do New Fork to Doubletop Mountain. Will there be too much snow up there that time of year? (My wife and I don't have crampons).

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Will you be fishing or just hiking? Also do you have a high clearance vehicle?

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

No fishing, Honda Accord. My wife can comfortably do around 10-15 miles a day (pushing it takes the fun away for her). We had originaly planned on July 4th weekend, but due to the mosquito accounts we read about, we might try for sometime in June. Snow might be a problem?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Snow could be a problem in June. It really depends on the winter. If I recall ice out on the lakes is early June, or at least was back in the 70s. Of course that was 30+ years ago.

You could ping NOLS in Lander and see what they think of early June access. Also call the ranger station in the area before your trip. They have probably done a fly over of the area and can give you an idea of snow pack (if any).

Are you set on the Winds or would you consider other areas/states?

The reason I ask is that Kebler Pass near Crested Butte in Colorado is supposed to rival it's fall beauty when the aspen leaves first come out in the spring. I haven't experienced spring there personally only fall:
    http://tinyurl.com/4837dt

The cool thing about Kebler is that it has the largest aspen stand in the 48 states. Big… real big. The trees are really old too. Some of the tree graffiti I have seen dates back to the 20s. And an 80 year old aspen is pretty tall. They have large ferns in the some of the groves as well. Pretty cool area and one of my favorites in Colorado.

Anyway, I will be in Lander in the next week or so and can at least tell you what the snow pack is around town.

BTW, if you do fish and happen to visit the Winds in June there is usually a free fishing day. Last year it was June 2nd (http://tinyurl.com/3fphv5). The Winds has great fishing, hence the question :)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Don't worry about bringing crampons. THey are un-needed in the winds. But, an Ice axe is manditory if you are going to be in any of the big peak areas in july.

Find a safe spot and practice (it can be fun)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools