Topic

Wildthings Icesac Users?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Wildthings Icesac Users?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Since R2 is closed, I am looking for new winter packs. The Icesac looks like something I might enjoy, but I have a few questions as the picture is difficult to see it's features.

1) Does the lid have a pocket on it, or does it just act as a cover for the main compartment?

2) Is the bullet pocket removable? It's hard to tell from the photo. Can you stick a shovel behind it?

3) Does it have hipbelt pockets, like the Racer? If not, is it possible to add these on a custom order – I heard they do custom stuff but I have never dealt with them?

4) What is the roll up snow skirt on a backpack? Similar to a jacket? How would that work?

I sent an e-mail to WT aswell, but would be interested in the BPL crew input.
    Thanks!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

OK, so no Icesac users…

how about the "OMM Villain 45 + 10 RL MSC"

I have been browsing these packs and they look perfect – just concerned about the size.

Anybody?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I have an andinista, the snow skirt is a spindrift collar,from the days when we stuck our legs in the pack to bivy. The lid has a pocket, it looks the same as the icesac.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

I have no experience with Wild Things packs or OMM, but I have a Cilogear 60L Worksack and love it for anytime I need a pack that big.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

You may want to look into a McHale pack.

douglas ray

@mountainmandoug

I haven't used the ice sack but I have seen them in stores, so I can answer some of your questions.

The lid has a pretty fair sized pocket.

I believe the bullet pocket is sewn on all around.

No hip belt pockets, and the hip belt is pretty skinny and minimally padded. Don't plan on it supporting a lot of weight.

The snow skirt is what would be more commonly called an extension collar, just a really long one.

I'd say also check out Cilogear, I love mine.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

Wild Things will also do custom work for you if you need it. There are some quick and easy ways to attach a shovel on these packs w/ a little tinkering. I use an andinista and have modded it slightly to carry a shovel for long backcountry trips. Best pack I have ever owned.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks for the replies. I heard back from Wildthings and they won't add the hipbelt pockets for me – which, believe it or not, is a deal breaker (can't live without them). So, I'm looking at the alternatives…will cilogear add hipbelt pockets?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Steven, have you looked at circuit? 60l pack for just 2lbs! I really like the narrow profile which can provide stability on trail. Dyneema crossrip gridstop is pretty durable. You can try contacting Brian at ULA and see if he is willing to make circuit from powergrid spectra 500D instead of Dyneema. You can buy spectra here http://www.rockywoods.com/durable_nylon.htm

plus, it also has very nice padded hipbelts with pockets.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Steven a review of the Villain 45+10RL MSC is at http://www.petesy.co.uk/?p=99 This is a great UK backpacking/hiking site. Would have let you know a few days ago but forgot where I had seen it. Also it mentions size/back length

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks Martin, that review leads me to believe I will be too tall for the pack…my surfing has lead me to favour the Cilogear packs.
    After reading reviews about them, I am thinking the 60L may be too large for my needs – apparently it extends to 90L!
    Currently, my GG Alpine Vapour can handle my winter gear, it states the size as 52L…with the CG 45L extension, I imagine this would be fine for me? Any insight? Every review I read about the CG 60L states that it is just huge.

douglas ray

@mountainmandoug

I would say that without the extention collar the 60l Worksack is about the same size as most of the other 60L packs on the market, what's huge is the extension collar. It also shrinks pretty well. Cilo makes the 45Liter and the 40B worksack, which would be great if you can fit everything in.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

yes, the 60L is huge. I use mine for rock climbing approaches with loads of trad gear, guiding backpacking, long backcountry rock climbing trips, and suchlike. from the spec'd weights it appears the 40B is actually a little heavier than the 45. and depending on how you use it, some stuff like the crampon pocket and ice tool holders can be cut off, along with maybe some dee-clips. for loads under about 45 pounds I usually take out the framesheet and stay since the stiff foam backpad is supportive enough on its own. the 60L has its uses for big or bulky loads like I somehow end up carrying, but if you don't do backcountry rock climbing, and don't guide, the 40B or 45 should be great!

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Steven glad you’re narrowed down your choice. Just to give you some other options try looking at Pod sacks, try this link for a supplier. They are good packs. Look at the Black Ice.
    http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_POD_56.html

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Huzefa, I love the ULA stuff, but the mesh pockets and lack of lid prevent me from considering it as a winter pack for me.

Martin, I saw the pods before, but it didn't reel me in. I'm thinking Cilogear still.

I e-mailed Graham twice in the last few days but haven't heard back. If he can offer hipbelt pockets, like he stated he would in the BPL review of his pack, I'll order one – especially with the pouch offered now (perfect for a snowboard) at $35.

I had a perfect pack designed and was about to go through with it at R2 packs, and then he shut'er down…now I'm on the hunt again.

Thomm, I checked them out, but the Mchale are fairly pricey.

kate travaille

@danandkate

The lid has two pockets – outer and inner.

bullet pockets are fixed

No hip belt pockets. I've heared because they are a small company customer service can be lacking.

snow skirt is the extension fabric on top of the main compartment, which is closed with a draw cord. It's basically the part of the pack that keeps stuff out and is used for over-stuffing main compartment. It's where I put my helment.

It's a good pack. It can't handle heavy loads, since there is no frame and very thin padding on shoulders and waist. Of course, this is the idea. It can be tricky finding places for tools, crampons, skis, pickets, and wands on the outside at the same time. The velcro on the anterior top lid is useless and annoying. Check out Cilogear packs. They are cheaper and look well built. black diamond and the new arcteryx ascent packs are more comfortable with weight. Wildthings is still made in the US, which is pretty nice.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

The Icesack has little loops that allow you to attach other brands' pockets onto the hipbelt.

The shoulder straps are not angled, so they dig into your collar bones.

45 lbs.+ is fine in the pack; the lack of a frame is no problem.

The new Arcteryx packs failed miserably for durability in a test by Backpacker or some similar magazine. Search for the video. They're also heavy.

CiloGear was a pleasure to deal with when I bought a smaller pack from them. I use the Icesac for anything multi-day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools