Topic

Anyone Has Experience with the Ratsack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone Has Experience with the Ratsack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Here is my experience with these three companies. I ordered a small Ratsack (www.armoredoutdoorgear.com) but it was way over the specified weight (+/-6) at about 10 oz. I talked with Tom and he made a Ratsack that was 2 inches shorter than the standard small Ratsack and sent it to me. It still weighed more than I wanted at 8.7 oz. I returned both bags and Tom refunded my money. Tom was sometimes slow to respond to e-mails and phone calls.

I e-mailed Outsak (www.simpleoutdoorstore.com) and asked for the actual weight of a small Outsak. I received an answer within hours that one weighed 7.95 oz.

At the same time I e-mailed Jeff at GrubPack about the weight of their bags. Jeff replied they weighed about 8 oz and was willing to make one a bit shorter and choose the lightest materials. I preferred the white Velcro for my desert use, so ordered a GrubPack. It arrived within a few days and in plenty of time for my Grand Canyon trip. It weighs 7 oz – yeah! This shorter version was big enough to hold four days of food.

The GrubPack is well made and did the job in the Canyon. The Ratsack is also sturdily constructed. I got a glance at a rolled up Outsak (I talked with some lightweight backpackers – Hi Eric from Canada! – hiking out and noticed one in a pack pocket. The Outsaks are the ones sold at the Grand Canyon.) From my quick look, the Outsak appeared to be professionally put together.

Dave at Outsak e-mailed me after my return with some exciting news. He was going to test an Outsak UL along the same trail I was on – Hermit. I am waiting eagerly to hear if it kept out the critters and how much it weighs. Because 7 oz is still a lot of extra weight to carry.

There were lots of small mice at Hermit Creek camp and Hermit Rapids and I think I heard something like a ringtail cat at Monument Creek camp. The most aggressive creatures were ravens at Hermit Rapids. I used an OP Sak inside the GrubPack and either hung the GrubPack or put it under a rock ledge so ravens couldn't land and peck at it. I have read ravens can open up the mesh sacks. All my food in the GrubPack stayed safe, but the ravens ate a couple of energy bars I'd forgotten about in my pack and emptied everything else out of the pack when I left camp during the day. Luckily they didn't damage much and I'm very glad I left my pack open. They were able to extract my tent from the pack without damaging it. They did poke holes in my sleeping bag stuff sack, but did not damage the delicate fabric of the bag. Used tp, antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen and some dried apple chips were apparently of interest though.

On other trips along the corridor trails in the GC I've had squirrels damage my pack (bars in the pocket again) and a persistent skunk go after my food. Do you need the extra protection? The GrubPack certainly gave me peace of mind, and since my total starting pack weight was still under 20 lbs, I didn't mind carrying it.

Lee Boyer

@leeboyer

I don't usually get involved in forums, but often look at them for advice. I joined this one today to offer my experience with my food bag, because this forum was one with some helpful discussions.

After reading this forum(and two others regarding anti-rodent food bags) I got the impression that these metal mesh bags are all good products, pretty much the same and everyone is happy with their bag.

I ordered a GrubPack based on two factors. The first was price. The GrubPack does sell for a few bucks less. The second was due to a phone call I made to GrubPack with a question I had. I had a nice conversation with the owner. He was very helpful in explaining how the bag is made and how to use it. I had intended to call the others, but I felt comfortable with ordering a GrubPack after my phone call, so I just did it.

The bag arrived two days after it was ordered. I used it for 5 days and 4 nights in the Grand Canyon. I returned home the day before Thanksgiving. I'm happy to report that the GrubPack worked just as advertised. We certainly saw and heard mice, but not as bad as I had feared they might be. I kept the food bag staked to the ground just outside of my tent. No problems at all. I was happy with my choice.

Randy Dolson

@randyd

Locale: East

I referred to this forum for some guidance in choosing a food bag last week. It does seem that these mesh bags are all quite similar. However, prices vary greatly. I ordered a medium size GrubPack. It priced a few dollars less than the medium Outsak, but GrubPack ships free. Outsak charges for shipping. Long story short, I saved about $12 with GrubPack. It arrived today and looks very sturdy. I'll try it out in February.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools