Topic

Day-pack Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day-pack Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

In my endless search for the perfect DAYPACK, I am thinking about buying an Osprey Talon 33 (as in 33 litres) which is light (1 lb 14 oz in size M/L) and felt comfortable in the shop and has received good reviews here and elsewhere. It's a bit big for a day pack but the smaller ones in this series are panel loaders, which I'm not a big fan of. Also, I can use it for overnighters. Any other packs I should consider? Thanks, Mike

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think much depends on what you plan to use this day pack for. As an example, a day pack that's big enough for an overnighter (and with the commensurate weight) may not be ideal for use in summitting / peak bagging.

Anyway, food for thought…

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Yes, I know what you mean. I am looking for a day pack that I can use for day outings, which often include scrambling, all year round. Often I'll have a helmet to carry and in colder weather I'll carry a bulkier winter clothing, eg. my Patagonia micropuff, along with the usual stuff for day hikes. I don't really need the pack for overnighters; that was just an afterthought becuase at 33 liters the Osprey Talon would be big enough for that purpose too. The Osprey pack has many smart features like straps with keepers so they don't get blown into the face. I hate when that happens. And a good hydration sleeve. Other features too. I guess I just want to know what people here use as a day pack–their favorite one. –Mike

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

People are always surprised when they go day hiking with me because I don't carry a daypack; instead, I use a fanny pack, or to be more specific, a Mountainsmith lumbar pack. It's fairly large – maybe 1800 c.i. – and easily holds everything I need for an outing: water, food, extra layers, map, emergency stuff, and rain gear. It rides well, and (the main reason I use this) it keeps the center of gravity low for off trail scrambling

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love my ULA-Equipment Relay. I use it all year for day scrambles. It does not have a hydration pouch, which I don't use, anyway. In the winter I have been able to pack an avy probe and shovel in the outside pouch, my ice axe, and strap on snowshoes and helmet when I don't need them. I always carry a home-made tarp, a bivy, extra socks, rain gear, a Patagonia Micropuff parka, wind shirt, and a ziplock bag with all the little bits of junk I need to carry – headlamp, sunscreen, bandanna, sunglasses, first aid, etc. In the winter the pack will weigh 13 pounds, which includes food and water. In the warmer months the weight is usually below 9 pounds, again including food and water. Did I mention I love this pack?

Edit: I forgot to mention I use a GG 1/8" pad folded up as a "frame" against the back.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>The torso length on most day packs are really short and I can't wear the waist belt on most of them.

I have that same problem Mike. That's interesting to note that you find the GG packs to be longer. How tall are you, by the way? Actually, I guess the more appropriate question is: what's your torso lengt?

I have an REI Flash UL pack and like it. I just got it, but it'll work well as a peak-bagging-from-base-camp sort of pack. I can use it in my bigger backpack to hike to a basecamp (it doubles as a stuff sack) and peakbag on day hikes from there.

But it's so short that the waist belt is more of a rib cage belt. I didn't cut it off though as it keeps the pack from bouncing around when I'm running.

For day hikes requiring a fuller load, I use the Osprey Atmos 35. It's not really UL, but it is one of my favorite packs and just fits me (and my long torso) great.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I choose between a Lowe Alpine Contour XC 30 and a MS Day lumbar pack. They are both way overkill as far as weight is concerned (30 oz and 24 oz, respectively) but they are super durable and I can really thrash them. It gives me the option of taking side trips that I might not otherwise consider with a more fragile pack. Plus I use both of them when I do trail maintenance, which can be pretty rough on packs.

Choosing between the lumbar pack and the backpack is really a matter of my mood at the time. Sometimes it feels good to just carry a lumbar pack and let your back breathe, other times I like the more controlled fit of the backpack.

I mostly like them because they are so versatile, and they really define 'go-to' for me. I've used the LA backpack for traveling, hiking, trail work, overnighters, and even as my school pack.

Adam

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

I'll let you into a little secret. The best backpacks ever made are by Black Diamond. I have the 30 liter Speed which is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The waist belt moves independently from the pack. It's a pretty simple pack with ice ax or (can hold trekking poles). It weighs 2 lb 3 oz but the waist belt, frame and brain can be removed to make it 1 lb 9 oz. I get excited every time I put this pack on. Check out the other Black Diamond designs as well because they're sweet. For a smaller day pack I have the Patagonia Houdini which is awesome. They also have Patagonia Grittys on sale at backcountry.com that you definitely should check out. But if I needed a new pack, there would be no question it would be a BD

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I have an Osprey Stratos 24 in size L. Plenty of volume for my use as a daypack year round. Handy side water bottle pockets accessible without taking off. Also has mesh hip belt pockets for a camera and a snack. Very comfortable because of frame and mesh trampoline backpanel. Main selling point was length – the L fits my 23" torso perfectly.

One drawback is the 2lb 8oz weight. Easy for me to overlook though because of functionality, and because I rarely have more than 5-6 lbs in it.

I am wearing my Stratos 24 in my new avatar pic – not that you can tell though.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You need a daypack that is expandable in volume like my old VauDe pack W/ a zippered expansion gore. That way you'll always have extra volume when you need it.

Eric

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Thanks all for your suggestions and insights. I didn't realize that BD made so many packs. I've used the Wisp and like it, as it sticks to the back for scrambling but I also find that it soaks up sweat from the back, which even makes its way into the pack. But it's a great pack. I used to use a lumbar pack but they just don't have enough room for what I need to carry most days. The other packs look good too. I think I'll hit the shops and try them on. Cheers, Mike

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Assuming you are using other items typical of BPL ethos then a Golite Ion is a great little pack.
    Can do overnights too. I use one and am very happy.

Alternatively there was a MYOG 5 yars to U/L article that showed how to make one. There are examples of ohters doing this on the forum.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools