Topic

Alcohol stove for mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol stove for mug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    S P

@highaltitude

What kind of alcohol stoves are you using for small 500-600ml mugs. Like the brasslite, BPL SUL, peak etc….

Something small enough that will fit in the mug and boil 1.5-2 cups of water would be nice.

I have been thinking about making a top burner/rivit nut stove out of some small v8 cans but am curious what others are using.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Best choice in my opinion is the Trail Designs stove with integrated Caldera Cone (which acts as windscreen, and cup support). In mug size, I have one for my SP 450 and SP 600.
    Roll the cone up into a plastic cup for protection, or slide it flat into your backpack hydration pocket.
    They also have titanium models which are multi-fuel compatible.
    And maybe make a few types on your own so you can appreciate the design tradeoffs of an open jet or pressurized type.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I use a minibulldesign.com Nion 2 with a Heini pot and it works very well. It focuses the flame on the center of the pot so it works very well for small diameter pots (or mugs).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used one of sgt rock's ion stoves. I have found it very fuel efficient but very slow.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I too am looking for a good alcohol stove for smaller mug cooking. I have a vargo triad ti stove that works well for pot cooking but is not designed well for mug cooking. The flame spreads too much and the legs fold out too wide to hold a mug securely. I'm ready to try a new stove. Is minibull the way to go, if so which model is the best?

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

GW PRO w/ 22oz mugGW w/ 12 oz mug

The 1st is the Gram Weenie PRO w/ a 22 oz IMUSA mug, the 2nd is the original Gram Weenie w/ a 12 oz IMUSA mug.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Holy cow, that looks awesome! Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Need any testers? ;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Josh
    I have just noticed that the 550ml TiTri is also ready for sale (I must have missed your announcement……….)
    Have you done any comparison between the Microtus and this one ?
    Franco

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Josh,

1) Kudos on that Microtus…

2) Man, that Tri-Ti is right on the money for an alternate size…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just stay away from pressurized side burners. In other words, pretty much any narrow, non-pressurized top burner stove will work. An example is a small size cat food can, with a wire cloth jammed in to work as "integrated" pot stand. I cut and folded down small pieces of the can top to keep the wire cloth in place. I also cut one small piece and folded it at a 90 degree angle (i.e. "flat"). When lighting, I squirt one drop of alcohol onto the flat piece and light the stove from there.

Rolling boil for 1 pint of water takes about 0.7 ounces of alcohol and about 6-7 minutes.

a

Since making the above, I've made another one using a wedding tin. It's slightly narrower than the above cat food can, but still holds up to an ounce of alcohol. Thanks for the tin, Jason Klass! :)

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

I've been using a Brasslite stove for a couple of years with good, dependable results. Some other designs are certainly lighter and perhaps a touch quicker, but it's a well constructed, reliable little stove (and the brass construction appeals to the Victorian in me.)

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Franco

As for comparisons, I can say performance between the two is close under ideal conditions. When it comes to wind, the Caldera will win out most times, especially with users not willing to fuss with supervision. Ultimately the bigger decision between the two, seems to come down to preference. I've been using Calderas exclusively for two years, and love them, but when it comes to packing my Amp, the Microtus is my choice.

Ben

You said it the best, top burners for mugs.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thanks Josh.
    I read that as "when you use the Amp, use the Microtus, when using the Circuit switch to the TiTri".
    I hope that you have sent one of them to Brian for providing the correct packs for them…
    OK, my decision now.
    Franco

Norm O’Neill

@nclaytn

The best alcohol stove for mug type pots is the Universalight from Speed Of Ultralight Gear. It's an open top jet burner with a built in pot support. It also works with most all other pots as well. It's one of the most fuel efficient alcohol stoves out there and weighs less than 1oz. The windscreen that comes with it is really nice too. The stove along with the windscreen weighs about 2oz.
    Check out http://www.speedofultralightgear.com

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

That Speed Of Ultralight stove is new to me, and so are you. What a coincidence !
    Franco

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Whois said

Domain name: speedofultralightgear.com

Registrant Contact:

Norman O'Neill

Lol!

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

I use a MiniBullDesign Elite#2 ($10.00) with a snow peak 600 mug.

mark henley

@flash582

I use the whitebox stove with either a Can pot or a Snow Peak 600 ml cup.

It works very well with either.

Dave T

@davet

JR Redding

@grinchmt

I use a Bozeman Stoveworks DuraLITE*GR for mugs and small pots. Was designed to be stable with those types of cookware.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I have been using a 5.5 oz. V8 Juice can top burner/rivet nut stove for 4 years. I put the "jets" on the inner face of the "rim" to concentrate the flame for smaller diameter cups. I also added enough height for a total of 1.5 ounces of fuel to give me more flexibility for larger pots and quantities of water. Less than .1 ounces of added weight for lots more flexibility.

Norm O’Neill

@nclaytn

I've used alcohol stoves made out of just about every type of can, aluminum bottles, and find that stoves made out of V8 juice cans whether they're "open top jet, closed top pressurized or side burners" are the best. They boil fast and have the longest burn time and keep the flame at the center of the pot. I use the Universalight from Speed Of Ultralight Gear. It's an open top jet burner made out of these cans.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Norm

You are advertising your own company a little too much on these channels. If you want to advertise please use the Gear Deals channel: that's what that channel is for.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Manager
    Backpacking Light

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I recently acquired one of Bill's Whitebox Stoves and just tested it out with my Vargo Titanium Mug. The flame pattern was nicely shaped so as not to be too wide and shoot flames all around the side but rather to envelope the bottom nicely easily bringing the 750mL of water to boil on one ounce of fuel.

I currently have a quiver of five alcohol stoves and am most pleased with the Whitebox so far. The principle behind these stoves is very, very similar and it is the construction and obvious durability of the Whitebox that seems to set it apart from many of the run of the mill beer can stoves.

*note this all being said having only recently received the stove and therefore no field testing – just confident, educated speculation.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools