Topic

Backpack Cover for Airline/Train Travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Backpack Cover for Airline/Train Travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> You wouldn't want to show up at the airport with your backpack pre-wrapped (as Roger and
    > Miguel describe) though, right?
    Well, I don't know what happens in America, but our method has worked every time so far between Australia and Europe. We do have to remove the packaging to go through Customs in Australia; in France they don't seem to worry!

OK, so we do not have an utterly ineffectual and paranoid TSA in either of these countries. And the airports often have these big bags available for packaging up awkward items, so I doubt they are going to want to disembowel the luggage.

Ymmv.

Cheers

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I've used double bagged flex garbage bags and duct tape many times. If they have to cut into it for inspection (which they have once to inspect a UV Aquastar water purifier) they re-bag it and tape it for you.

I have to pack 2 extras inside the bag for the return trip as I have to plan for the first two to get at least somewhat damaged. On the plus side, I use 1 as a pack liner and still have a backup. I pack a small bit of duct tape anyway which gets used on the return trip.

Craig Ramos
    BPL Member

@zomarzi

Locale: Wales U.K.

I use a Royal Mail plastic transit bag it has a sacking weave to it and used by the Royal Mail to transport their letters/packages, it's strong light and obtained by talking nicely to your local post office employee.

Eric Smith

@es

I have one of these http://www.rei.com/product/728446. It's light, packs into its own pocket & I only paid about $15 (looks like it's closer to $30 now). It's worked well for me – no holes or tears. It's huge though, & there's mixed reviews at REI.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

+ 1 with Rod on the cling wrap

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Just a belated follow-up.

We used garbage bags and 2" packing tape for our 'pack covers'.

It worked great.

Use a garbage bag that comes with its own little yellow drawcord at the top.
    Fit it over your pack and wrap the garbage bag in packing tape.

Wrap the tape around at a few intervals to re-enforce the garbage bag and keep it a similar shape as the pack.
    But don't wrap the tape too snug as you might not pack the bag as tightly next time. Especially the top section where the pack has to be able to slide out.

If you do a good job (and the baggage handlers aren't too rough) the garbage bag will be re-usable.

Tie the yellow drawstring through the haul loop of the backpack so there is something to carry it all with.

Make some extra 'double layer wraps' of packing tape so you have spare, to peel off and patch up the inevitable tears.

Our garbage bag 'pack covers' lasted all 5 flights.

Good luck.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I have struggled with the same problem getting to and from trails far from home. My solution was a pack of bombproof "Dyneema Gridstop" with removable shoulder straps (I don't use a hipbelt.). I carry on the carry-on essentials including things that can't survive crushing and that can still go through security (like the camera). Other non-crushables such as the cook kit go into the middle of the bag. All pockets are empty. This works OK, so far. The trick is to carry on as much as possible, leaving the pack bag as light and easy to handle as possible. It helps to have a bag that has no trailing straps.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Some international airports have shrink wrap that you can use. People wrap suitcases with it. The person operating the machine will take your item and wrap it up tight and shrinks it. I've had a backpack done this way flying to New Zealand. Now, I just pack light and carry on my pack which fits nicely in the overhead bins.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools