Topic

South Utah National Parks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports South Utah National Parks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Robinson
    Spectator

@mcjhrobinson

Locale: Waaay West

im going to be hitting up all the 5 national parks in southern utah in the next 2 weeks or so. i will only have 2-3 nights at each park. im used to hiking 20+ miles a day. so, my question to all of you is which backcountry hikes are challenging and beautiful or which would you recommend, suggestions, thoughts, anything? mahalo!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I m visiting the area in May.
    Im looking at the "Under the rim trail" in Bryce at about 22 miles.
    In Zion Lava piont to the Grotto 14 miles
    also the East rim trail to Deer/Cable Mt. at 17.5

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

Locale: Northern Mn, Superior Hiking Trail

Hi Matt,
    You are going to LOVE the Colorado Plateau. In Zion you have to hit up Angels Landing, it will probably be way to cold for the narrows, or any of the slots.
    The Primitive loop at Arches is Fantastic. At Canyonlands, the confluence overlook is good. I did a sick 18 mile loop in the needles. Also north of Moab is Castleton tower the hike to the base of the tower is really good!. THe fisher towers have a really good hike as well.
    Just some suggestions.
    Have fun!

Philip Wszolek

@pwszolek

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

In Canyonlands, Needles district, if you've got a 4WD vehicle, the hike is really short, but Angel arch is worth the trip.

A long time ago, I four wheeled out to the Confluence Overlook. Looking at the map I've got, looks like it is just a trail now. Neat to see the Green and the Colorado mix together. Chesler Park and the Joint trail are memorable.

Matthew Robinson
    Spectator

@mcjhrobinson

Locale: Waaay West

thanks for the input guys! it looks like i'll be there in about 3-4 days. unfortunately i don't have a 4WD but i might just end up hiking the unpaved roads part of the way. i'll post my thoughts in trip reports once i'm done. aloha!

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Here's a link with probably more great hikes than any other I've seen:

http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Hikes.htm

I used to live in SLC, and the desert still haunts me; I do miss it so. Have a great time!

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I just spent 10 days down there. Just remember – this part of the year is the wettest for Southern Utah – and when it rains it can really rain. It actually snowed on me one night. One night was so windy there was no way I could set up my tarp – so I bivied it and hoped it didn't rain. Although… the rest of the days were nice and sunny! :) I was in the San Rafael Swell area – lows hit 24*, and the northern Lake Powell area – lows hit 32*.

So… just be prepared for the wild weather it can throw at you.

I would also second Angels Landing. AWESOME hike! Also, at the bottom end of Capitol Reef national park are the Halls Creek Narrows. The park service will tell you not to go there if there are clouds within a 1000 mile radius. I don't listen to them anymore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools