Topic

Poncho/tarp for use with hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho/tarp for use with hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Hi everyone. I am wondering which of the UL poncho-tarps on the market would make the best tarp for hammocking. As I understand, the ideal shape for hammock tarps is a diamond, so that you only have to use two stakes, so the poncho-tarp would presumabely have to be square, but I know of no such ponchos.

Note: I am planning a CT thru-hike and am looking for ways to reduce redundant gear. Using a JRB No Sniveller will let me drop the WM Flight Jacket, and the poncho will let me leave the eVent rain jacket at home. Side splash on the hammock due to an overly narrow tarp is not an issue since I hang a space blanket around the underside of the hammock.

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

I've never seen any that will work, with a guarantee, as much as the stock tarp.

A square tarp, at an angle isn't long enough to cover the length of the hammock.

It might cover the person, but not the fabric and mosquito netting, using a Hennessy as an example, and so eventually you will have water running down your hammock bottom.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

my understanding is that a standard poncho/tarp won't work for a hammock. Sgt Rock designed a hammock friendly poncho/tarp which moonbow can make for you.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Thanks for that link, Mark. That poncho may do the trick.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use a Campmor Ultralight Extension poncho or a GoLite poncho. They are the same size and basically the same cost.

The Campmor is lighter, but only comes in royal blue.

The GoLite comes in green and has guy loops on the short side.

They both provide adequate coverage for the shorter hammocks like the Hennessy Expedition. For long hammocks like the JRB Bridge you need a larger fly.

Have a good time on the CT.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Richard, do you pitch that poncho diagonally over the hammock or parallel to it? 2 stakes or 4 (or more)? I guess that's my biggest question.

Also, I am tall – 6'3'', so I usually go for long sizes. I use The Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter. I have used my MLD Grace Duo in the past for the hammock, but it's overkill and doesn't work as a poncho.

Also Richard, I know this is unrelated, but I haven't found information elsewhere. What nighttime temperatures should one count on for the CT in July/August?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

We've made versions of the Silnylon Pro Poncho with the seam on the diagonal.

Since the hood is in the seam it can be rotated to face off the seam about 30 degrees so when it is worn the poncho fees pretty much like a standard poncho.

Of course, it pitches like the pro poncho but on a diagonal over a hammock and the hood that rolls down flat.

I don't know if this would be popular enough for a full standard product offering but could make them custom for now.

We are kind of waiting for if and when we offer a hammock to offer this poncho version as standard item.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Ron, thanks for your input here. Does an elongated poncho of your dimensions pitch securely diagonally, or is a parallel pitch more effective for hammocking?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Rick,

The poncho is pitched to mirror the A-Sym of the Hennessy with 2 stakes. The sag defining ridgeline of the Hennessy makes it easy to determine if it will work for the hammock. The Skeeter Beeter PRO is a foot longer than the Skeeter Beeter UL. If the 9'6" Travel hammocks are hung with enough sag then a poncho will work. I have concerns about the 10'6" length.

A hammock "sock" can be used over a ridge line for extra protection. I use my waterproof jacket secured by binderclips on the foot end and my pack staging ground sheet and binderclips on the head end.

You need to be comfortable to freezing. The bug season in Colorado is only about 3 weeks, but during your hike time.

I use a Hennessy with Jacks'R'Better 3 season quilts in July and August with expedition weight long underwear, fleece socks and fleece balaclava. Occasionally I need to wear my hiking clothes and fleece jacket and bring my torso sized ccf sit pad into the hammock.

My shoulder season kit is a Claytor No Net with double .375" pads, Nunatak Arc Alpinist and a MacCat Deluxe tarp. The Cocoon balaclavas from BPL are excellent.

Ron,

I look forward to hammock gear with your level of craftmanship and raw material.

My design wish list is:

eVent sock at each end,

netting in the middle, and

matching poncho fly.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Richard, thanks for the excellent information. I will think about all of that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools