Topic

Andy Skurka in Scotland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Chris (or anyone really!)

have you tried anything like the tarptent products in Scotland – they seem a good compromise in that they can shut out the elements and can be opened right up in summer yet still shut out the midges?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Yeah Peter, I agree. Kinda why I chimed in with my NZ experience. Tarptents have served us very well (with a few modifications) in most conditions the southern oceans can unexpectedly throw our way. However, it does sound like this is more a thread about 'pushing the limits' of UL or SUL, in which case I'm guessing a lot of folks would consider a silnylon tarptent too heavy. I wonder how cuben would hold up??

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Peter, I've tried the Gossamer Gear Squall Classic in the Highlands and really liked the space for the weight and the superb ventilation – the best in any single skin tent I've tried. However stability in the wind was terrible – in fact it blew down twice and thrashed around wildly in winds that other single skin tents coped with fine (though most of them had severe condensation problems at other times). The door was ripped open by the wind repeatedly – the two Velcro strips just aren't strong enough. Inside the tent it was very breezy when the wind was strong with light items being blown about and the groundsheet lifting up. Of course modifications are possible – extra guylines, more Velcro on the door – but overall I don't this tent is suitable for the Highlands.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I hope people don't think Scotland is some kind of water wasteland as this thread seems to be leaning towards:)
    Sometimes we have great weather! Agree please Chris!
    I have a Contrail and it is fine for Scottish use as long as you are careful regarding pitching. As Chris has mentioned with the Squall, i have found that the Contrail doesn't like exposed, windy sites. Other reviewers on BPL have found otherwise though. I have only recently started using a tarp in the Highlands and have enjoyed doing so. I'm coming from a 'roughing it' background, so maybe my idea of comfort is different from others! A garbage sack was a bivvy bag when i was a kid.
    Good luck with the new job Chris.
    I look forward to a reveiw of water-pistols.:)

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Chris,

Due you have any plans to test a variety of single skin tents in the Highlands? The Gossamer Gear The One for example looks light and well made and reminds me of the shape of the Mountain Equipment AR range, but unlike the Mountain Equipment tents it does not have the guy line on the large flat area on the fly and the usual small porch makes me wonder if it can make the grade in Scotland. Others models like the Tarp Tent Rainbow would be interesting to see how it performs. It looks good on height to sit up and low weight, just don’t now if it is able to stand up to the storms?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Site selection is everything if pushing it.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Mike,

You right to say the weather is good in Scotland now and then. Apparently it rains less on the east which is great if you live there.

I think you point that you have made in “I have a Contrail and it is fine for Scottish use as long as you are careful regarding pitching” points out the limitations of rout choice and staying high and camping in possible more exposed sites. Saying that tents have limits when the weather gets bad and I have dropped down to find sheltered sites many times with my tent.

Tell us about the length of trips you have done with it and how you got on with cooking in bad weather in the porch etc. Also what would improve it?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

The weather in Scotland can be wonderful! You can see some pictures of good weather on my blog. Even when it's sunny it can be windy though and as I prefer to camp high up and in exposed locations I like a stable shelter. And the glens can be windswept too at times.

I did a comparative review of single-skin tents in the June 2007 issue of TGO – these were all ones available in UK shops so didn't include the Contrail. My general finding was that condensation was too big a problem. I gave best buy to the GoLite Hex 3 and recommended the GoLite Trig 2. Nothing else was recommended.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Martin, the longest i've used my Contrail for is a weekend/ 3 nights. For my annual holiday/vacation i've been using my Laserlite but want to try something different. I've bought a MLD Bug bivvy and intend to use that under a flat tarp this summer.
    I consider my Contrail as a top-end bivvy bag.I often carry a lightweight bivvy bag as well if the forecast is dodgy. If you make that mental leap, then it's superb. If i need to collapse it during the night, say to wrap over me in a storm, then there is only one pole to pull down. When i'm using a 'normal' bivvy bag i don't expect the same comfort or protection as in a tent. And it can be put up almost as quick as i roll out a normal bivvy bag.
    Also, and this is probably important, i have been walking in the Scottish Highlands for over 30 years. I'm very aware of my surroundings. I know that if everything goes pear-shaped, i can bail out to a bothy or a howff that i know of. Many of them aren't marked on any maps.
    As for cooking in it, if i can, i will. I'm not too fussed if i have my breakfast later in the day. Same as when bivving. As for improving it, i often think of adding guy-lines, but never get round to it!
    I think it would be fine for a longer trek but if you want to treat it as a tent, then you probably would have to find a sheltered campsite each night.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Mike,

I reckon with the Contrail you could do a two week TGO. I talked with one challenger who had taken a Six Moon Designs Europa II as I remember. He had done a low level rout and said on only one night he had to pack up and take of to find shelter or see his shelter get ripped to bits. I liked his honest assessment of his choice of kit and he admitted the only thing he would have changed was to have taken his Akto and left the single skin home, at least he gave it a go.

I’m sure adding extra guy lines will help and you may need a pack towel to mop of condensation etc but it looks a good bit of kit, I’m real keen to have a light single skin for weekends like you say their like a big bivvy and at 695 grams real light on the load.

On the cooking issue maybe something like the OMer's 25-gramme Tarp used by the porch could keep the rain back to allow you more comfort check the link.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5278

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Hi Martin.
    I wouldn't have any qualms about taking a Contrail on a low level TGO. Unfortunately i can't get 2 weeks off work in May. The main thing is to make sure you get the floor working as the best bath-tub you can get, relative to your pitching site. Unless the wind has turned 180' during the night, and is blowing horizontal rain into the front, you should be able to cook in the 'porch'. If the conditions are really bad then i would head for the nearest shelter i could find/make to cook and dry out. There is usually something in the area.
    Yeah, i read about morph's 25g tarp. I use a bit of an old tent flysheet to do a similar thing with my flat tarp. Similar to the Granite Gear Dodger. As i've said, i'm pretty new to the tarping game, so i'll wait and see how i get on with the cheaper sil-nylon tarp set-up i've got, before i think about splashing out on a cuben fibre set-up!

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools