Topic

Reducing Winter Pack Weight: Wood Fire Cooking in the Snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Reducing Winter Pack Weight: Wood Fire Cooking in the Snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Paul wrote:
    "Average fuel usage: 3.57 ounces by weight of white gas per day, or just under 1.8 oz per person."

I work it out by time. I figure that I get four hours of full flame on 1 liter of white gas. That is roughly 8 ounces per hour consumed. So, I simply think in terms of how long it takes to boil and cook, and I can estimate the amount of white gas needed.

White gas is a lot cheaper than other fuels, except for wood twigs. For groups or for lots of snow melting, that might be important.
    –B.G.–

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Kevin…..did we ever set you up with the Inferno version of the Ti-Tri. For wood fires, works much better than the standard Ti-Tri.

Rand

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

Yes. It worked well but I didn't care for the sharp edges on the screen. If the screen could be reworked to have smoother edges AND fit inside of the plastic tube it would be a better system.

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Got it….assuming the "screen" you are referring to is the "grate"…..should be no problem. As to fitting in the tube….it is kinda designed to fit in the pot…..depending on the pot/mug size, some will go in the Caddy…..

Rand

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools