Topic

Ryan’s mystery pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ryan’s mystery pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mathieu Fagnan
    Spectator

@mfagnan

I would just like to know if anybody or Ryan himself can tell me what pack he is wearing on the Schoolroom galcier picture in the upper right corner of the main BPL web page.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

It almost looks like a Kelty Cloud, but I can’t believe Ryan wearing a 4.5 pound pack.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

saw the picture once a while ago. i thought that it being all white might be a prototype of a new BMW pack made of spectra. however, i don’t have a clear recollection of what the pack looks like.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

The pack in the picture looks just like the photo of the pack that was on the old BMW website.

A few years ago, before BPL got started, Ryan’s BMW was making highly-specialized full spectra mountaineering packs. Sometime after that Ryan had Dan McHale make him a pack. If my memory serves me well, I remember that Ryan once posted a line to the effect that McHale’s packs really do make a difference–and, he emphasized, that opinion was coming from someone who reckoned he had designed one of the best internal frame packs possible.

I was lucky to get Dan to make me an elaborate Summit Pack (approx 2500 cu in.) from full spectra (heck, even the thread is spectra!) that weighs 23 oz. with stays and hipbelt. My main go-to pack these days, it carries well and just won’t quit!

Like everybody else, I’m interested in the new Rapture packs, as well as just about every other upcoming BMW design. Especially those PGD quilts. Nobody is asking about those. Aren’t they supposed to come up soon?

Mathieu Fagnan
    Spectator

@mfagnan

I also can’t wait to see the BMW packs. I am in the market for a very light large (60l)and strong pack to cary +/- 30 pounds. Thinking about the Golite Gust, dreaming about a McHale (it’s some serious cash)… so I was curious about hte pack in the picture.

Does anybody own a Kelty Cloud 5250 and know the minimum weight of it (pack only)?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Jon, people have been asking about them, I’m somewhat interested in them. But no word from the good doctor–and he’s just off on an adventure. Ryan did report on another thread, just before he signed off, that the latest prototype of the Rapture was being worked on (and possibly being tested by)
    Brian of ULA but was some months off to being ready for market.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
    Anonymous

When do Ryan’s new packs come out?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools