Topic

Yellowstone / Beartooths Trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yellowstone / Beartooths Trek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

” I just wish the pants were the same fit, in Pertex Equilibrium Stretch.”

I wish there were more articles of clothing made out of Equilibrium Stretch, period. I use my Golite Synergy pants (made of an earlier Equilibrium fabric) extensively and think the world of them (they are much more durable than Cloudveil’s Inertia used in the Rodeo and they breathe well and seem quite water resistant ) , but they could certainly use the 2 way stretch of the newer fabric.

The only pants I can find made of Stretch Equilibrium are Montane’s Terrastretch Pant, and they are not being imported stateside. Although, one can purchase them from Hike-Lite’s site. They are a bit on the heavy side (12 oz. in L–a small L ).

Of course, there is the uncertain future of Pertex as we know it.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Ryan–two tripods for point and shoots I’ve had good luck with.

-Hakuba E Pod table top model. Comes with little ball head and quick release plate. Weights about 2 oz.

-Manfrotto Digi 714b. Relatively light full sized model–a little heavy for ultra-light hikers though. At full extension I have to bend over a little, but not too bad. (I’m 6′ 1″)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

John, I actually have a Manfrotto Digi 714SHB. It’s a little lighter, but shorter than the 714B. The difference in height, seems to me to be related only to photographer comfort (not a big deal for me). My main goal is to have something tall enough to get above the high grasses.

I made a spinnaker stuff sack, about 100 ci (0.1 oz) and filled it with sand, dirt, rocks, duff, etc. whenever I hiked, essentially made a bean bag out of it. It was awesome – I could set it on fenceposts, logs, in the crooks of tree branches, and just set the camera on it, and adjusted it so it was level. Works great but doesn’t solve the height problem.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Ryan,

Why not pick up three sticks, take a tarp guy line or some other piece of cord in your pack …lash up a hasty tripod…put your sand sack on top of the lashing junction,then camera …. level the camera …shoot

Beside the zero weight option it is zero cost…

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Jack, that’s a great idea, actually. It would be pretty easy to make that part of ‘camp chores’ in the evenings, then i’d have a tripod for the evening and morning light, when it’s needed most.

I’ve found the need to have a tripod on the trail for various reasons: low light, waterfalls, ND filters, self portraits, etc. and the sticks philosophy would complicate that some, and possibly cause me to miss out on lost opportunities…

But I will certainly do this on trips where I’m not taking a tripod. Sometimes simple is brilliant! Heck, I love that I could just take an extra guyline off my tarp.

On another note, we are manufacturing an upgrade to Stix poles that includes a tiny ballhead mount on one stick and a third CF pole (lighter than a Stix pole) with a molded plastic support that allows you to configure a quick tripod out of it. The whole addition, including ball head, should not weigh more than 4 ounces.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I thought this was someplace on the Forum but maybe not.

My Tripod uses two on my home made trekking poles and then a third 2 piece pole carried to become the 3rd leg. It can also be used to repair my one of my trekking poles if necessary.

It will hold a heavy (about 23oz camera) or a lighter digital.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Cool setup, Bill. What kind of ballhead is that and what does it weight?

My current “total kit” I use for more serious backcountry photgraphy is still based on a digital P&S camera:

Canon S70 8.8 oz
    Three batteries 4.8 oz
    Manfrotto 714SHB 36.3 oz
    Giottos MH-1004 Ballhead 1.8 oz
    Velbon Quick Release Plate (model unknown, 4.4 oz)
    Aloksak for Camera & Batteries (1.0)

Total: 3.6 lb

The best place to lighten up is obviously the tripod, that thing is a tank for what I really need it for; however, it’s build quality is outstanding for the price and it’s fast to deploy. I’m probably not willing to go to a lighter tripod if it’s going to be slow to set up a shot. In addition, I’m pretty reluctant to use trekking poles: they support my tarp at night/morning, when I’m doing a lot of my photography.

The ballhead and quick release plate: possible weight savings there but I won’t be losing them: part of the “fast setup” gig. Love the ballhead and am pretty happy with the weight (yes, it’s 1.8 oz, not 3.6-4.8 as per packaging and mfr specs). The QR plate is way too burly for the application. Anyone know of a plastic one that might be nice and light?

Then there is the camera. I’m willing to move up in weight/bulk but only if I can really get a marked increase in photo quality/latitude.

Love the specs on the Canon 5D but you can forget the price tag and weight. I’d carry a Rebel XT with a high quality lens (the kit lens is awful) but am not convinced that a consumer grade cam is going to give me much better than the S70 on most shots.

What I really want is a pro cam in plastic body, or Leica M7-digital :)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Another tripod worth considering for backcountry photography is the Cullmann Magic2 which (regrettably) weighs as much as your Manfrotto,Ryan,but weight includes head. It also has the advantage of folding flat due to some trick mechanical design and gives you something close to 2 feet more vertical height. Will handily support a prosumer grade/size digital camera,too. Comes with a composite metal/plastic ballhead w/ quick release.

A spinnaker (or any) stuff sack filled with sand,dirt,rocks,whatever and tied to the center column of these lighter weight tripods works wonders in stabilizing them for work in winds, long exposure times or sharper work with long lenses.

That is a very clever tripod, Bill. You really should be doing R&D for a progressive outdoor company. How about a trekking pole tripod with a center column ?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I took an Olympus Mini tripod
    Tripod Link

and cut off most of the legs. The legs are a flexible spring thing and is where most of the weight was. I left enough of the flexible legs to slid into pieces of tubing that attach to the top of my trekking poles and the third tripod leg pole. You can see this in some of the pictures. The ballhead is the one that came on the Olympus mini tripod. It has a strong locking mechanism and holds my camera in any position without any problem. The part of the mini tripod left, ballhead and short sections of the three flexible legs weigh 2.67oz.

The third pole is packed when not in use. It is made in three sections the longest two sections are 24.5″ long and the third section is 8″ long. All the extra parts necessary to complete the tripod weigh 5.51oz. My trekking poles weigh 3.2oz each. It only takes a minute or so to set-up the tripod. My trekking poles can be adjusted to three lengths and will come apart to pack them. I can also add the 24.5″ sections of the third tripod to each trekking pole or two extra sections to one trekking pole to use with a tarp.

Ryan what is the inside diameter of your trekking poles?

Keven Said: That is a very clever tripod, Bill. You really should be doing R&D for a progressive outdoor company. How about a trekking pole tripod with a center column ?

Thanks Keven, An R&D job would be nice. Is this the type of tripod you are asking about? This one was to heavy and I am working on a much lighter version. Sometimes you just have to get one finished and then look at how you can make it lighter. I learned a lot on this one.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Ryan, I don’t see this pack on McHale’s site. Is it a larger pack that is “broken down” or a custom pack not shown on the site? If a larger pack, which one?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Tim: no it’s not on his site. “Summit Pack” refers to the size as much as the design. It’s actually more of a Subpop style design, just a very small one. The main compartment is around 2200-2400 ci.

McHale used to offer a Summit Pack. It was basically a very simple, dumbed-down SARC (which is what this is as well) in a “day size”.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Ryan: Thanks, I’m considering a McHale because I developed numbness in my thigh on a hike. Doctor says it is “meralgia paresthetica.” So, I’m wondering if Mchale’s double buckle hip strap makes a difference. Sounds like your back trouble wasn’t worsened by the McHale.

Where/how did you carry the bear spray? Did you use one of the UDAP holsters, or was it in a pocket on the side of the pack?

While I’m on storage questions… I used the GoLite Team Pouch this Summer, but found it too hot on my chest(CDT in the Weminuche), so I attached it to the waist belt. I used it for camera, map, watch, sunscreen, bug repellant, etc. Where are you stowing those sorts of things that you need frequent access to while hiking?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I look forward to seeing whatever lighter version you’re working on, Bill.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Ryan: “Summit Pack” refers to the size as much as the design. It’s actually more of a Subpop style design, just a very small one. The main compartment is around 2200-2400 ci.

What are the approximate dimensions of the main compartment?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

>> What are the approximate dimensions of the main compartment?

~6″ thick x 24″ (frame length, tall), 12″ wide.

Bryan Redd

@lucylab

Ryan,

Thanks for the detailed trip report and the photos. Beautiful fish.

Please shed some light on your preference of the Platypus water bottles vs. the wide-mouth 1L flexible Nalgene.

I have found I like the wide-mouth feature of the Nalgene. Thus, I’m curious what features and qualities you like (or find preferable) in the Platypus narrow mouth 1L bottles.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan,

When you get a chance could you post your “Yellowstone Trip Gear List” under

“The Gear List Forum” for reference.

Thanks,

FastWalker

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Ryan,
    Bryan asked:

“Please shed some light on your preference of the Platypus water bottles vs. the wide-mouth 1L flexible Nalgene.

I have found I like the wide-mouth feature of the Nalgene. Thus, I’m curious what features and qualities you like (or find preferable) in the Platypus narrow mouth 1L bottles.”
    ===============================

Hi Bryan, I am not Ryan but let me venture a guess. Weight – Weight – Weight. If you check you will see that the Nalgene 1 and 1.5 L bottles are twice or more heavier than the 1 L Platypus bottle. The Platypus 1 L weighs .9oz. One other reason might be is that the side pockets on Ryan’s pack seem to be short and the Nalgene bottles are tall, 11″ to 12.9″. I could of course be totally wrong.

I like the Nalgene wide mouth bottles but at what cost in added weight will I carry one or two of them.
    I have my SUL Gravity Water Filter (3.6oz) so I just put the tube from the filter into the small mouth on my 1L platypus bottles and fill them up with water that is ready to drink.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Will the real Dr. Ryan Jordan please stand up!

I’m not Dr. J either. (he’s back out in Yellowstone until, i believe, 6-Oct or thereabouts – acc. to an email i rcv’d fr/BPL’s Cust. Srv. Director).

Richard is spot on. “Weight-Weight-Weight”. Couldn’t put it any clearer.

So what, possibly, do the Nalgene Cantenes have going for them?

Nalgene Cantenes are often used in cold weather due to the relative ease of removing the larger diameter top if water freezes in the threads of the cap/bottle top. In this application, their added weight penalty is negated by their ability to more easily refill the bottle. Still a good idea to dry the threads of cap and bottle before replacing cap. This does NOT mean you must use a Cantene in winter instead of a Platypus, but just that many people prefer to use them in winter.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Paul. Did I miss something??

“Richard is spot on. “Weight-Weight-Weight”. Couldn’t put it any clearer.” ???????????????????

By the way Paul, I am working a version of a “Summit” pack. It will be mostly Cuben Fiber to bring the weight down and will look a little like the pack Ryan used on his Yellowstone/Beartooths Trek. It will be more or less the size he listed. I am thinking about calling it “el Pequeno” or something like that.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill,

my apologies. no, you didn’t miss something, …but i sure did. was also reading a post by Richard that i was thinking of replying to (and ended up doing so – now, i need to make sure that Richard did write the other one i replied to).

sorry. so, let me say it again, correctly this time: Bill, you were spot on with your comments.

Perfecto, muy beuno – good name for the pack. or, perhaps La Ligera? (and ??? for my Spanish).

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Bill – not that I have to tell you this, but pictures will be mandatory ;)

Ben

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Bryan, weight weight weight! as they said.

And collapsibility. They roll up just so dang nice.

I do carry Nalgene cantenes with wide mouths in the winter – never a zip or narrow mouth platy – recipe for disaster when it comes to the cold/ice.

My water bottles did freeze up. They were a pain to recover, but that only happened once – the other nights I kept them right at the side of my bivy where there was enough heat to keep them from freezing.

Bryan Redd

@lucylab

OK guys I note the 1+ oz delta between the Platy and the Nalgene.

Which Platy bottles do you prefer: the “bottle” or the “reservoir”? The latter is actually a tad lighter I believe.

Cheers,
    Thanks.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have a friend who dislikes sweat and insects so much that his camping season starts in October and ends in April (in MN)

He has a 2 part tactic for not freezing water bottles overnight:

1) he sleeps with a couple bottles filled with hot water inside his bag

2) he brings an extra blue foam pad and uses it to line a hole in a pile of snow, places bottles inside with tops down, closes the top with a scrap of blue foam and pile more snow on top. I don’t recall how warm that water is.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools