Topic

Summer ’08 Colorado Trail-Start Date?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Summer ’08 Colorado Trail-Start Date?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hello All…

I'm sitting at home in Denver and listening to forecasts for more snow in the high country. Some areas have had a record-breaking year while others are merely at 200% (or more) above average.

I guess I'm not leaving in mid-june for my southbound Colorado Trail hike anymore.

My question to the world at large: When would you anticipate the earliest, no ice axe, start date? Please give me your best guesses because I have absolutely no clue.

I would also love to know about any resources for snow depth and expected rate of melt. Are there some general rules for figuring this sort of thing?

Thanks All!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Monarch Crest, west of Salida, is usually snowbound until the first of July. This year I would Guess mid-July. It's negotiable before then, but muddy and easily damaged, when snowbanks force off-trail excursions.

Work backwards from there.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

It depends. When there are airline tickets, etc. to consider then I think you plan on starting the 4th of July.

Just past the tunnel west bound look at the Ten Mile Range. If the Range is nearly crossable then it is OK to start.

The snow pack on Georgia Pass and Ten Mile Range determine the earliest start date.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I like to use this site to keep track of snow depth in Colorado.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Can I have the map CD?! I'm planning on leaving mid august. Haven't been following the snow closely, but I hiked the PCT in a huge snow year and LOVED hiking across miles and miles of spring snow. I wouldn't rule out an early start (mid june), it'd be a lot of fun probably.

J Bailey
    Spectator

@jbaile38

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I really appreciate everyone's input, and the snow depth link.

Another poster PM'd me for the maps a few days ago…sorry, been busy and forgot to edit the post.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools