Topic

Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kinsman Insulated Pullover Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Kammerer
    BPL Member

@erickammerer

At Thru-hiker.com

Anyone tried this (or any of their kits)?

It looks fairly simple to make, and the price is pretty good at $55.00. But I might like to modify the pattern a bit, and it’s not too clear how easy that would be.

If anyone knows of a similar pattern, please post it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I just received the kit, have not started cutting/sewing yet.

I have made thru-hiker wind pants and Kennebec. Instructions are good. Contruction methods are highly developed.

Modifying a pattern can be easy or very difficult depending on what you want to accomplish. Shortening or lengthening the torso is easy. Lengthening or shortening sleeves not too hard if you understand a few things. Most other size mods can be tricky. Difficulty of adding features depends on your skills and how important the cosmetics are to you.

Eric Kammerer
    BPL Member

@erickammerer

I was thinking more in terms of modifying the shape to add more kidney and back of neck protection. Also, I have a long torso and arms and large neck in relation to torso width (a fat-necked, skinny chimpanzee).

Some better-framed questions would be:
    1. Does the pattern include all of the sizes, or just the size you order?

2. How closely do the material requirements match the material provided — is there any excess to play with?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

A multi part answer:
    1) Send your questions via the contact us link. Ayce has always been very responsive.

2) For the kinsman (and wind pants, I think) kits, he sends a pattern for just the size you order. The older kits come with patterns for all sizes.

3) The kinsman (and kennebek) are not overly short at the bottom. The picture shows the bottom about even with the sleeve ends … which is approx at the bottom of the buttocks for me.

4) And finally, info from the kinsman kit I received:
    * The back piece of the XXL measures 32″ from base of the neck to the bottom.
    * I cut the pieces this morning using the layout diagram provided and the fabric in that kit was about 20 inches longer (full width) than it needed to be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools