Topic

Precip or Virga?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Precip or Virga?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alisha K.

@lishkersch

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and want to introduce myself and also ask a question :)

My names Alisha, I'm from Minnesota and do most of my hiking here with my s.o and 5 year old daughter Hazel. It's nice to meet you all and reading through your posts has been very helpful so far!

Now for my question.. I am having a hard time choosing between the Golite Virga (7 oz.) and Marmot Precip (12 oz.) rain jackets.

Does one really out perform the other? The Precip seems to be a tried and true favorite and even though the Virga is 5 oz's lighter I want to make sure it works just as well before buying it. I notice that it has no pitzips where the Precip does.

Any advice? Thanks!

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I haven't tried the Virga, but I do own a Precip. After using it only two or three times, it started to wet out in certain spots like the shoulders and elbows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't due to my internal perspiration. I'm going to either take it back to REI or try some Revive-X to get the DWR working better. If you read the Reader Reviews you will notice that it seems some people get a lemon and post about, while others get perfectly fine jackets. (This seems to be the case with many rain jackets of any brand).

I am a little disillusioned with rain jackets in general. I just got a SilCape (a silnylon poncho) and an umbrella that I am going to try out in hopes of finding an alternative to jackets.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Locale: Sierra

I have a Precip, but I no longer use it for backpacking, strictly because of the weight.

The Precip has huge pitzips, and the pockets are made of mesh, which create there own ventilation as well. Neither of these jackets fabrics expel moisture very well, so you will be depending on the jackets openings(pitzips) for most of your breathabilitly.

If I had to choose between the 2, I would take the Virga for the weight savings.

You should consider some other jackets like Outdoor Research Zealot, TNF Diad, or Integral Designs eVent Jacket.

Check out this article on Lightweight Rainwear, a couple years old, but very helpful.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2005_rainwear_review_summary.html

Alisha K.

@lishkersch

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I am on a pretty tight budget as a college student and single mum! So.. the Precip is on sale for $70 and the Virga is $80. This is the main reason I am looking at these two choices as I've read bad reviews about the SD Isotope which is also cheap. I'd love to spend more, but I still need a lot of other gear yet!

You say neither breathes well so the pitzips help. Would you still take the Virga over the Precip knowing that the Virga has no pitzips?

Thanks again, this is really helpful :)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Alisha – if you are a size small and like the color coral, I have one only slightly used that I'll sell you for $40. I upgraded to an ID eVent and don't need it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I also will probably never take my Precip on another hike due to it's weight. When I bought it (just getting into UL) it seemed super light! Not so much anymore… Of course this all depends on what you consider heavy.

As far as the pitzips, the two times I've used it on a hike were hiking uphill in the Rocky Mountains and on level terrain in Hawaii. I was VERY grateful for the pitzips. I would have been sweating up a storm without them. (This is why a very open poncho or an umbrella appeals to me).

It's really none of my business, but I'd take Kathleen's offer.

Alisha K.

@lishkersch

Yep, for half the price I'll take the extra 5 oz's and at least I'll have pitzips :D

Thanks for the offer, I just sent you a PM.

Thanks to everyone else for your advice!

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

I spent 4 years in the Precip using it as my frontcountry and backcountry rainjackets. If you aren't expecting torrential downpours on your trips, the precip does fine. You'll sweat, indeed. But in warmer temperatures you'll dry out pretty quickly. It is heavy for the UL crowd, but works well enough. It ain't as heavy as it could be.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Hey hey,

This is timely. I just today ordered a Virga to replace my Precip. Did it mostly to save the 5 ounces (and chose the Virga because it was cheap). I've used precip jackets (three in all) for about ten years. I've never used a pit zipless jacket, but I found that I often didn't use them on my precip. If I'm too hot with my virga I'll either take the jacket off (because I'm warm and wet) or just be warm in a damp tshirt with the jacket on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools