Topic

Fly fishing New Zealand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Fly fishing New Zealand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Dave, Allan and Tony travelled to the North Island of New Zealand to do some fly fishing for trout. Dave had fished NZ before and had done a lot of research on the best places to fish which in New Zealand there are many. Dave (originally from America) is a wildlife ecologist and did his PhD on Kangaroos, I joke with him that his real PhD is in Trout fishing.

The fishing started off a bit slow as at first we fished easy to get to and over fished places, after a few days we walked into a remote river for a three nights camping. On the way we stopped for two hour fish the Koranga River and caught about 10 nice trout between us, a big one snapped me off. That night after we set up camp we started fishing the Waioeka River, Allan caught the first of his 2.2+ kg Brown. The next day was a bit slow for me as I only caught 2 fish but the others had a reasonable day and Allan caught a 2.3 kg Brown. We kept three smaller fish for dinner which we shared with 2 pig hunters and five hunting dogs.

On the third day we got up early and walked down stream and in a mornings fishing we landed 30 trout ranging from 0.5 kg to 2.3 kg, I caught 7 from one 50 meter stretch and a nice 1.7 kg from another. This was the stuff of dreams.

All up in 2.5 days we landed 50 trout mostly Rainbow and a few Browns all fish ranging from 0.5 kg to 2.3 kg. In the whole trip we caught 70 fish.

Dave and I flew home while recently retired Allan stayed in New Zealand for a months touring with his wife. Allan used a A$135 combo rod/reel and line and out fished both Dave and me, I look forward to hearing about his latter fishing adventures in NZ.

Tony

Big Brown
    Alan’s big brown
    Dave nice fish
    Dave fighting a nice fish
    Nice rainbow
    A nice rainbow
    Waioeka river
    The stunningly beautiful Waioeka River
    Dave releasing a fish
    Dave releasing a nice rainbow
    700mm fish
    700 mm rainbow

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools