Topic

Modifiying a ThermaRest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifiying a ThermaRest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

I have read here and other places about modifying a ThermaRest Prolight 3 or 4. But what about modifying a ThermaRest deluxe? Its a bigger softer pad. I have one laying around the house that I paid 10 bucks for. I have thought about cutting it down to torso size and taking it "ultralight"! What do you think? Any help would be much appreciated!

-Passionphish

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I have not read anything at BPL in modifying a thermarest, care to elaborate? Have people taken a thermarest and shortened them? That would be cool. I'd like a 5' long thermarest, I don't like the shortness of a 4 footer and the 6 footer is overkill and unwanted weight. How have people shortened a theramrest if that is what you read about.

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

I thought it was here that I read it. Maybe not. I will look up the process and post a link or two… Going out with the wife and will post tomorrow!

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

There's an article on the process with a prolite 4 3/4 sized pad in the articles section of this site! Check it out!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Shortening a Thermarest

Here's the link.

I've thought about doing the same to my old Thermarest. It weighs a ton and I don't use it for anything but car camping anymore. I just can't get up the courage to actually cut into it though.

Adam

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I read the article and noticed what it said about doing it on the prolite. Scares me to try it.

What gets me about the sleeping pad manufacturers are that they are all doing clone stuff, why does not anyone make a 5' long inflatable sleeping pad — why does it have to be either 4' or 6'? Yea, I know the woman's prolite 3 is 5.5' long but it weighs the same as the man's 6' long prolite 3. Why not a man's prolite 3 five footer?

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

I think I am just going to dive in sometime this week and see what happens. I'll post later with the results!

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=33&p_id=1124273

I finally found a five foot self-inflatable sleeping pad (16.9 oz)

Wow, I finally found one — the four footers were always too short and the six footers were overkill. Look at their large 2.3 oz pillow that snaps to the pad and won't flip around. I got that too. It will replace my 1.9 oz pillow case. Also, note the non-slip surface so your sleeping bag reportedly will not slip around it.

Furthermore this pad is about $16 cheaper than thermarest too (the six foot prolite 3 pad) which weighs 3.1 ounces more. (plus the Montbell comes with stuff sack and repair kit for that reduced price)

ps – does anyone have any of their pads (4,5,6 foot length) – how nonslip are they? also, anyone has their pillow, how comfortable is it?

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Roleigh,

I have a montbell UL 90 cm pad and I would say the "nonslipness" is comparable to thermarest pads. I use my UL 90 with a 1/8" thin light under it so I have no problems with it moving under me even on silnylon.

George De Soomer
    BPL Member

@jorgoz13

I did shorten a thermarest clone some time ago bought especially for this. Piece of cake.

Just cut up your pad, make an edge by removing the foam and clean it. I used methanol (the one closest at hand). Then took a piece of waxed baking paper to protect the pad fabric from burning and used an ordinary clother iron set to its hottest and sealed the seam again. I kept the iron in the same place for about 10 secs moving around a bit.

Works like a charm.

Good look in your molestation of your pad….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools