Topic

Bozeman tarps and beaks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bozeman tarps and beaks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I was wondering why the Bozeman Mountain Works Stealth 1 PRO (7×9) doesn’t have either beaks like the Golite Cave (see http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=SH6000) or closed ends like the Gossamer Gear Spin Shelter (see http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Shelter.html).

Surely these features would stop wind blown rain from entering the shelter?

Also, are open ended tarps meant to be pitched side on to the wind, which would block wind blown rain? Or are they meant to be pitched parallel to the wind, which would cause rain to come straight through the door? A pitch parallel to the wind would resist higher wind speeds since the tarp provides the least resistance to wind blowing straight through it but it would also cause rain to enter the tarp.

Help would be appreciated!

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I believe “beaks” may be trademarked; you may want to look at the post in the “Chaff” section on Ray Jardine Trademarks.
    All kidding aside, I agree some form of protection on the open ends of a tarp will enhance the ability to keep foul weather out.
    To answer your question on placement of tarp in the wind, yes, you do want to have as much of the wind as possible hit the side of your tarp rather than the opening at either end.
    Additionally, the stronger the (expected) wind the lower you want to pitch the tarp; and have all your guylines secured.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

1. Beaks do add protection.
    2. Beaks do add weight.
    3. Beaks do add complexity in pitching.
    4. Beaks do flap in wind.
    5. Beaks do trap condensation.

The Stealth tarps embody the design principle of “simple is enough”.

Beaks add more, yes, but their benefit is realized primarily when the tarp is pitched extremely low and windblown rain is coming in sideways through the ends. If this is your normal backpacking mode then the insurance of beaks may be well spent.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Dr. J,

thanks. adding your post to an “Important Info” file on my laptop.

really appreciate it when very knowledgeable individuals post to this site (both staff & others).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools