Topic

Windshirt Philosophy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt Philosophy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Michael, you've just made several succinct points. So just to reiterate, a wind shirt is just that: a wind shirt. Its purpose is to prevent or reduce chilling through convective heat loss. It can be, but not necessarily so, water resistant (as opposed to water repellent). This is usually achieved by a DWR finish that is washed in or sprayed on, but be aware that this will fail after 2-3 hours of steady rain. Running the garmet through a dryer at low heat for 30 minutes will restore the DWR coating. Occasionally wash the shirt but not with detergent, as the DWR will be ruined and the pores of the fabric become clogged with the detergent residue. In an earlier discussion of this the consensus was that Granger's spray on lasted a tad longer. Since I'm a Montbel devotee, I'm saving my pennies to get one of their hooded windshirts to replace my current hoodless Golite, although it does a durn good job.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools