Topic

Marmot Bag Updates – Good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Bag Updates – Good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I noticed that Marmot has updated the Atom, Hydrogen, Helium, etc for 2008. Besides the hydrogen now being green (instead of black) it looks like they have made the bags full zip. But of course the bags are now heavier…the Atom has gone from 1lb 0 oz to 1lb 5 oz. I think they might be using a heavier fabric too.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

All bad in IMHO, there is a reason the old pertex halfzips are coveted. Too bad these companies can't recognize a good thing and stick with it.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Jhaura,

Sure, the recognize a good thing. Unfortunately the corporate mindset is to constantly redesign and offer 'new' products (read: make more $$$). What can we say other than The Man sucks? If anyone from Marmot wants to argue this point, PM me and we can get on the phone. After you try to sell me on your 'innovative design ideas' and 'progressive thinking' I'll be happy to browbeat you with logic for a few hours.

You won't see a smaller, focused company like Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends making a mistake like this.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I like the fact they went to full zips because you can use it as a quilt but I don't like the much extra added weight.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

Though I can see the desire for a full length zipper on the Atom and Hydrogen, the warmer bags really don't benefit from it. I have a Helium, Hydrogen and Lithium and never need to vent the warmer bags as they are only used below freezing. Also, what is a "sewn-through baffle" as seen in the Atom description? I thought it was ether sewn or baffled… And I hate the pea green Hydrogen.

Anyway, I am not surprised given how horribly they butchered the design and quality of Dana packs (just had to vent that).
    I am guessing that the weight is mostly due to the different fabric as the Helium EQ is the same listed weight (or weighs the 2lbs 5oz that the one I had weighed). That always had the longer zipper, but is using a different fabric. The overall fabric change may be due to problems with acquiring Quantum, or a desire for something more robust for the larger market. Or, maybe it is just cheaper- like the crap materials they used in their Dana packs (more venting). Regardless, I can't see why they changed such a good line of bags.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I too prefer the full length zipper for the venting options. I will be posting FS two (2) new 2007 model Hydrogens, black, size reguler for $150.00 each plus shipping, no paypal. I hate the new color but want the full length zipper.
    Thom

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Despite the claim, they may also be using 750 or 800 fill as the 850 and 900 is hard (if not impossible) to get.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools