Topic

Dacron Guylines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dacron Guylines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

I'm looking for a good material for making my own guylines for my tarp. I don't care for spectra and I am currently using triptease and I'm not particularly fond of it, or its breaking strength. I really like the 1.8mm Braided Dacron Cord that Ron Bell from MLD uses on his tarps. Can anyone tell me how well this cord performs, and which knots work best with it. If anyone knows a good source for the same cord as his or something remotely similar please let me know. I need roughly 100ft of it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Early in my trip towards the light I found "Southwest Ultralight Backpacking" a website by Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl (who write articles here). They suggested 100 lb test braided dacron kite string, which I found at a local kite store.

Afterwards I thought I might want stronger and picked up a 500 foot spool of 250 lb test …. have plenty left over and would sell some if you are intersted. 5 cents per foot plus postage.

PM me if interested (I won't see it until March 10 if it does not arrive by March 1)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota
    David Wills

@willspower3

I got one of those 1000 yard spools of 200# test from kitebuilder on impulse one day and it is awesome. Its got enough mass to tie knots with, it doesn't slip or tangle, and is practically weightless. Anyway, who doesn't need half a mile of string?

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

Check out the cord on zpacks.com,it's awesome stuff. It's available in black or orange and two different weights. I also got some of the cordlocks on that site to go with it. The lighter weight cord is awesome for stuff sacks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Does the 200# Dacron line from kitebuilder work with the new line tensioners many companies are using on their tents and tarps? (specifically MLD)

I am thinking of adding these to some of my tarps but don't want to use 3mm line and was hoping the near 2mm 200# would still have enough friction for a good bite.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

Tim

I'm not so sure that the 2mm line has enough bite. I think the reason that all the MLD tarps come with 3mm line on the perimeter tie outs is because the 2mm line doesn't have enough bite. Hope this helps. By the way, I got some Dacron. It's perfect. The link you gave me was a big help.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

The 200lb dacron kite line will not work with the ITW Nexus LineLoc 3. The line is too small.

To avoid confusion, the Clamcleat style line tensioners (aka LineLok) sort of work with the 200lb kite line, but not well enough to be reliable.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanx for the info guys. What is a good source for larger line that will work with those type of line locks?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools