Topic

Nunatak Akula Half Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Nunatak Akula Half Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone used this before…I'm a huge fan of my Arc AT, and am considering getting the Akula for winter (overfill as req'd).

http://nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/akula.htm

I've been talking with Tom about the Akula, and I'm sitting on the fence about it. Replacing my WM Versalite will be tough…it is ridiculously warm considering it's only rated
    to -12C.
    Any info out there?

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

There is a Nunatak Half Bag in the Gear Swap. Nunatak could prolly overfill the bag. I would still be less expensive and take less time then a new bag.

I like the romantic idea of huddled on the face of Eiger in a parka and half bag, but for general use it would be hard for me to keep my hands in the bag or parka pockets. Though it seems you are sold on the ARC AT quilt.

Feathered Friends also has their Vireo bag, maybe worth a look.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Christopher,
    Thanks for pointing that out – I'm looking into it – but it is a medium (I want a large) and I was discussing with Tom about adding 4-6 oz. overfill and extending the baffles from 2.5" to 3.5". I want to be able to hit -20C…as for using a half bag – once you do it, you'll never go back. Keepng your hands inside the bag or pockets becomes second nature after a few nights.
    I looked at the Vireo, but I'm drawn to the Nunatak for the lighter weight and lower temp rating.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools