Topic

Integral Designs MK1 XL eVENT Tent on eBay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Integral Designs MK1 XL eVENT Tent on eBay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

If anyone is looking for the discontinued ID MK1 XL1 eVENT Mountaineering Tent, one is available on eBay at http://tinyurl.com/8nswb

Rich

Anonymous

That’s not a sale price..it’s a rip off.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

That’s not a rip off, and as I indicated, the tent was available and not at a sale price. These very special tents usually sold at list price when new. But now that they are no longer made and available, just like most other items, it is a matter of supply and demand. But, if someone wants the tent in like new condition, there are few other options.

Rich

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Richard, thanks for bringing this item to our attention.

[Note: In the following discussion, which was written very quickly & edited primarily for spelling/grammatical errors, no attempt is made to dot every “i” or cross every “t”. it is purposely not overly technical & detailed & so to some extent will not earn a grade of ‘A’ in an engineering Dynamics or Strength of Materials undergraduate class.]

checked out the eBay listing for this tent. had no intention of purchasing (even though from all that i’ve read, this is a “primo” tent), but was curious none-the-less. what caught my eye was that one of the poles was slightly bent. the listing didn’t say where that pole was bent (e.g. “near the center of a section”, or “near the end of a section”, or “near the end where the pole inserts into a pocket”). now, to the best of my knowledge (and i’m going to be cursory here and not get too technical – a frequent fault of mine) when a piece of metal bends (a pole section is no exception), it tends to want to “spring” back into its original shape. this “spring” characteristic is a constant, peculiar for that piece of material/alloy/metal. bend it too far and the piece of metal yields. what this means is that the metal does not return to its original shape. its “spring constant” changes. it becomes weaker. the listing said that the bend did not affect the tent functionally. i’m guessing that what might be meant is that it’s just as easy to erect the tent now, with the small bend in a pole section, as it was prior to the pole bending. however, and this comment is made without knowing precisely where the bend is, my guess is that it’s ability to withstand large stresses caused by high winds or snow loading is somewhat diminished. we really need to know more about the bend before anyone unequivocally and dogmatically asserts this statement, but this is generally true, i.e. a piece of metal is weaker after it yields – how this affects its use in an application is a slightly diff matter. if it yielded when not in the erected tent (for example in the trunk of a car when a heavy object was thrown on it), then it might be bent in a place that doesn’t affect its strength when in use. however, my best guess given the minimal info in the listing is that this is not the case. if it yielded/bent during a high wind or heavy snow load, then it bent at the point of highest stress and is now not as strong at that point as it was before it bent. therefore, it will not support as heavy a snow load or hold up under as high a wind. it is more likely to bend further under those same stresses that caused it to bend in the first place. likewise, if something heavy was thrown on it in the trunk of a car & it bent at a place where it will experience high loads in use, then it is weaker than in its pre-bent state. for example, anyone remember over stretching a small coil spring, like from a ball point pen, as a child. it didn’t spring back to its original length & it had less “strength” when stretched a similar short distance, i.e. placed under tension, after it yielded than before it yielded – doesn’t matter whether it is a coil spring, as in this example, or a leaf-spring (like in an old 60’s American sedan’s or a truck’s rear suspension, or a tent pole – which in reality functions, in part, as a spring).

my point is that this may be a perfectly fine tent, or it may be somewhat (very slightly???) weakened and may not perform maximally under high winds or snow loading. i simply don’t know, but just want my friends here who read the BPL Forums to be aware of this point. sure, one can replace the pole. also, perhaps, someone would like it for the eVENT fabric and overall design, but won’t be using it at altitude in high winds or under a heavy snow load.

these comments are for the reader’s info only (and the eBAY lister if he/she happens to read this – i believe the lister would not want to misrepresent the item in any way). these comments should not be taken as intended to disparage the item or the lister. obviously, this fine point would probably only be known to engineers, metallurgists, or someone with a similar technical background – some readers of these Forums and the lister, perhaps, may not possess this knowledge.

having said all this, only the potential buyer can decide if the item represents a good value. given that it’s no longer made for sale in the USA, it might be worth more than the original purchase price even with its minor defect. i don’t know. perhaps, it has already achieved “collector’s” status, so to speak, due to its increasing rarity. again, i don’t know. from my perspective, six mos. ago, i probably would have bid on it myself (even with the bent pole section – i prob. would have replaced the pole section before use in winter/snow). for now, i’m probably going to do my next winter using the same ID eVENT Unishelter bivy as i used last winter. hence, my lack of interest in this item. now, if the price were lower… i’d probably bid. i’m an easy mark for a deal.

final edit:
    i’ve made a few of prev. comments in the last paragraph above bold. i’m not sure if these comments were understood correctly (perhaps i had already put most/all readers to sleep before they got that far).

Anonymous

And it doesn’t go on a deal page, but on a swap page. It’s no deal by any skretch of the imagination. Pay more than it’s worth for a bent pole. Sheesh.

Anonymous
    Inactive

PJ maybe the only interested customer, but at a starting bid of $632.64 I to believe its seriously over priced… Then again I paid $3.31/gal for unleaded this morning.

Try a Integral Designs MK1 Tent new for $450.00

http://www.knradventuregear.com/Tents_Bivy%20Sacks/id_tents/mk1lite_tent.htm

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

First of all Anonymous (and I do not like being confronted by someone who will not reveal their identity), this does belong in this forum section because I am not the seller, and therefore it is not a gear swap item from any of the BPL members. You may not feel that this is a good deal, but someone may be looking for this item. Additionally, this item may not sell for this price and something may be able to be worked out with the eBay seller.

As to the price it may be high, and I am not commenting about this, but I was only letting people know that this was available because it has been discontinued.

As to getting an ID MK1 Lite it is a different tent and is no longer available in eVENT which is the more breathable, lighter, and more expensive of the 2 fabrics. The MK1 XL eVENT or just the regular MK1 XL is the more expensive tent, longer (and heavier) for those that need the extra length or want the ability to zip in a vestibule (not available on the regular MK1).

Rich

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools