Topic

Water treatment for 12month S.A. trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water treatment for 12month S.A. trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

I’m looking for feedback on which water treatment system to use for a 12 month South America trip.I have a Pur Hiker and a MSR Miox and am considering using Aquamira.I am looking at 2 liters a day averaged out on the trip.I will have to carry extra batteries and rock salt if using the Miox (about 200liters on a set of batteries) or about 6 Aquamira kits(120liters a kit) where as the hiker is about 800liters with new cartridge.
    If anybody has been down there recently i would like there feedback.I will start in the USA and go thu Mexico and Central America.Thanks

Alex Orgren

@big_load

Are you sure 2 l/day is enough? It isn’t for me, and I’m not very big.

Aside from that, I wouldn’t count on getting 800l from the Hiker. Mine has clogged up far sooner even on apparently clear water. I know a guy who used Miox 3 for months in Africa, so it seems like a reasonable option.

Anonymous

I have been down to both Central American and South America in the past year. Spent about a month in each. I used the Miox and didn’t have any trouble with it.

My decision to use the Miox was based on the fact that:

1. It is relatively light and takes little space when compared to a regular filter
    2. batteries and salt are easy to replace anywhere along the way

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools