Topic

Camera “Bipod” from 2 trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Camera “Bipod” from 2 trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I figured out this REALLY COOL method to make a camera “bi-pod” using your two trekking poles. Drive the pole tips into the ground about 6 inches apart… cross them in a X shape… and then strap the camera between the two handles using either the camera’s wrist strap or some other strapping / string / cord. It’s pretty solid (with foam grips… probably wouldn’t work with cork or plastic).

Eu Jin Goh

@casaval

The first place I read about this technique was from Mountainlight by Galen Rowell. I think it was first published in 1986 and it contains many gems of information about how Galen takes his photos such as improvising support while climbing when he doesn’t have a proper tripod. The book is highly recommended if you’re interested in adventure photography.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Cool :P LOL. Another idea I got from the camera store… they sell these sand bags to use as camera supports. That would be very easy to improvise. Anyway, thanks for the tip about the book!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools