Topic

adjustable or fixed length poles for a thru hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) adjustable or fixed length poles for a thru hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I am currently using a fixed length set of poles on my shorter trips and have been very happy with them. I am hiking the Colorado trail this summer and I am wondering if I should get a set if adjustable poles. I wanted to know if people with fixed length poles felt that they got in the way when trying to hitch rides. Or if people felt that there were in other times on a thru that fixed length poles were an inconvenience.

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I use fixed length GG poles in my Colorado hikes. The only time I will consider taking the heavier adjustable poles is for class 3-5 summit attempts because I have to use my hands and stow the poles during the climb. Even then I often opt for the superlight fixed poles.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I used TiGoat adjustable poles on a thru of the Long Trail last year and will be using them again on the Colorado Trail this year. At 6.4 oz (a pair), and the convenience of having them adjustable, there is no question in my mind. I use them in conjunction with both my TarpTent Contrail and also with my new MLD Grace Solo Spectralite Tarp, being adjustable makes it a snap. Hitchhiking with full length poles is difficult… one of the first things I learned was to shorten and stow them before even trying. Another thing in the case of the CT is stowing them for the flight.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

If you use a shelter that needs straight poles, then adjustable is essential. Most tarps and tarptents are in this category….The TG Goat poles are a fantastic compromise. adjustable but still light enough for most folks.

Kirk Beiser

@kab21

Locale: Pic: Gun Lake, BWCA

While fixed poles are preferable for backpacking, I think adjustable poles are a more versatile option for thru-hiking.

1) Are you flying or busing to your destination? Adjustable are much easier in this scenario.

2) Are you using them to put up your shelter? Adjustable are almost the only option for this.

3) It's easier to hitchhike in cars. It's also easier to walk thru a grocery store (and other places) with an adjustable pole.

4) Are their times that you want to stow them and walk w/o poles?

The two main drawbacks (as I see it) of adjustable poles is the additional weight and joints slipping/failing. And typically (not always) as weight decreases the joints are made less robust.

I carried a pair of black diamonds (contour grips) on the PCT last year. The combined weight was almost 18 oz (heavy), but I didn't have any problems with them.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Air travel would be the only factor pushing me to use the adjustable poles. I have Komperdell (Peak UL) adjustables and homemade golf club pole (fixed length). I always choose the fixed length b/c of their weight and simplicity, unless I have to pack the poles in luggage to get to the trailhead.

(I have no problem setting up a GG spinntwin with fixed length poles.)

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I'm typically hiking on dirt trails with embedded cantelope to stair-step size rocks through rolling hills with some steeper but short sections (like the AT around the Shanendoah valley). I tried trekking poles for a while, but I'm not sure they offered any real advantages.

Yes, I was a WHOLE lot better off doing all the stream crossings since it was almost impossible to slip with poles but easy without… But I typically only cross 3-5 streams per day that caused me to worry about slipping – and I never slipped without the poles, just worried about it. Yes, my knees did feel less tired at the end of the downhill sections – but that was counterbalanced by the extra work to go uphill (although the extra work was felt in my shoulders and arms). Also, my legs always recovered each night I didn't use poles, so I had to wonder if it was worth the extra mental effort to place the poles the right distance away, but not between rocks that could trap and break the tips when going uphill… Also, my tent poles were lighter than my trekking poles…

I think the most telling thing for me, was that when I was tired and just "slogging on" I definitely didn't want to bother with my poles. When I was relatively fresh they were a fun toy though. It was sort of fun trying to figure out how to use my upper body to increase my speed or stride distance, etc so I could make more mileage per day.

The only time I was really glad I had poles was when I had a heavy pack and my lower back was sore. So personally, I wonder if poles are really worth it unless you have knee troubles. Maybe I'm missing something and haven't given them enough of a chance to grow on me yet…

ps: If there is snow, then poles are a MUST for balance, and to help prevent foot slippage on both uphill and downhill sections.

Dave T

@davet

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Dave: Please tell us how you deal with these locks on the Peak UL poles! I can't efficiently lock them and will certainly welcome any "tricks" you can share.

I disagree that adjustable poles are essential for tarps
    and tarp tents. They do provide more options in pitch, especially for tarps, but are not essential IMHO. I use my fixed length poles with my contrail with great success.

For air travel I made an abs plastic tube with plumbing stuff from Home Depot for a couple dollars. One end has a threaded cap, the other a glued on cap. Worked great getting the poles to Europe and back to the U.S.

As to the hitchhiking/car ride thing, how much time do you spend in a car when compared with how much time you are hiking with the things? This is a minor inconvenience that is easily if not gracefully handled.

Gimme my fuss-free fixed length superlight GG poles anyday!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools