Topic

finishing windshirt seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear finishing windshirt seams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

Any suggestions on how to finish seams on a nylon ripstop windshirt?
    I like the idea of taping the seams, except I dont know how much weight it would add. I could do a flat felled, or french seam, but I think it is more difficult and would love to save myself the trouble…

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I guess that I don't see much point in taping the seams of a rip-stop wind-shirt. The purpose of seam taping is to waterproof a seam that would otherwise leak. Taping is most often done with Goretex and other WPB fabrics. Since a wind-shirt is not intended to be waterproof, there is no need for the tape. I generally use either a flat-felled seam or a French seam on the wind-shirts that I make. Either seam encloses the raw edge, keeps it from unraveling and gives a nice finished look. A French seam is not that difficult; a flat-felled seam can be a real bugger if you are working in close quarters like the inside of a sleeve. Also, a flat-felled seam really shows up wandering stitch lines so you need to work slowly and carefully when using it.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

You are probably right about taping, I just thought it would be an easy way to protect the raw edges.
    What about this method described on a page for kite-making?
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/seams.htm
    I dont know if this is called taped seams or not. I think it would be easier than flat felled seams, but produce the same effect.

Neil Bender

@nebender

I use a serger, but a tight zig-zag with an overlock presser foot also works.

Joy Menze
    BPL Member

@catamountain

A French seam ends up looking similar, but it's less work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools