Topic

AT 2008 SOBO gear list!!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT 2008 SOBO gear list!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

Hello everyone, please take a look and let me know any constructive criticism!! Especially regarding an item I haven't bought yet. My start date will most likely be early July, but it's flexible.

I definitely feel that my rain gear could use some improvement. Has anyone used an umbrella on the AT? I don't have much umbrella experience but I love the psychological boost of being "out of the rain."

Here's the list! Thank you.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pBxw1O7aoF_1p3ldltH8UDA

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Hi Brittany,
    I can't speak to any of the AT besides the Whites, but you might want to check out Ben & Lauren's blog at http://bltadventure.blogspot.com/. They were '07 NOBOs and had a gear list that was very similar to yours. FWIW, they carried GoLite umbrellas and Dri-Ducks jackets. If you got a similar garment, it could double as a windshirt, thus taking an item off your list (you could omit the umbrella then, too). I carry a silnylon poncho, windshirt and brimmed hat, myself, and hike in wind pants 'cause I'm a klutz.

Your headlamp could be lighter; have you looked at the Petzl e+lite or a Photon Freedom with a hat clip, each of which is well under an ounce? That also sounds like a lot of DEET to start out with. I know the following will add weight, but have you thought about: camera, sunscreen or visor/hat, earplugs in case you're stuck in a shelter or hostel with snorers? Oh yeah: and a little soap, like Dr. Bronner's, and some alcohol gel (Purell).

Ok, enough from me. Time for some thru-hikers to weigh in. Have fun!!

Brittany W

@quasarr

Thank you Heather for your reply! I will definitely be reading Ben & Lauren's blog.

I don't have a headlamp yet, that weight was an uneducated guess, as was the weight for the DEET. I'll look into the headlamps you suggested! My boyfriend is bringing a camera, and I'm planning to use the umbrella for any sunny sections. However if I ditch the umbrella I'll need sunscreen. Earplugs – good suggestion I will add those. I just went on a factory tour where we needed earplugs – I should've snagged a pair. Soap – I normally make do with a soap free bandanna bath!

Brittany

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

Unless you plan on hiking at night, I highly recommend the Petzl E-Lite. 1oz, multiple settings including red LED, and clips to hat brims if needed.

Brittany W

@quasarr

Thank you Douglas!

Also I've been going back and forth on getting a Mariposa or Mariposa Plus. I like the color of the original better, and it's on sale right now at GG. But the Plus is sturdier and can carry a heavier load, which I might need if the AT has a drought like last year. The 2oz weight difference between the two doesn't matter to me.

Jessen Jacobsen
    BPL Member

@jessenj

Locale: Boulder

I recently got the Mariposa Plus instead of the normal Mariposa. I've had silnylon packs before, and I like the M. Plus's material much better. More durable and feels better.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Has anyone heard about a timeframe for a change to curved stays on the Maricopa Plus?

Brittany W

@quasarr

Well I went ahead and ordered the Mariposa Plus. I'm going on a shakedown hike during spring break in early March, so I couldn't put off the decision any longer!

Brittany W

@quasarr

hey everyone,

I got my Mariposa Plus in the mail on Friday, as well as my Montbell Alpine down jacket. I got a jacket size L using my measurements and the guide on the website. However, I think the jacket may be too big. It doesn't fit snuggly with two layers underneath. How can I tell if the fit is right??

I know it's a balancing act because a too big jacket won't keep me as warm as I could be, while a too small jacket will compress the down. Help!! I may buy a medium and compare the fit, then return the one I don't like.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Sun exposure is not a problem on the AT. With the exception of a few open ridges and summits, you will be hiking in the shade even in the Smokies. I encountered several straight days of rain in August in VT, and was glad to have an umbrella which I rigged to carry hands free. It was most helpful when I stopped for a break in the pouring rain. I still got wet, however. so I no longer carry an umbrella. The highlight of my time with the umbrella is when I passed a woman who said she considered carrying an umbrella, but thought she would look stupid with it. Then I passed by a shelter in a downpour with hikers huddled inside. I asked for "Grey Poupon", but got only icy stares. The low point of carrying an umbrella was during a lightning storm. Somehow having a metal umbrella waving above my head was not comforting. As for a headlamp, go for one with strong one-bulb spot in the center. It will be helpful if you have to hike in the dark. I have used just a Photon (green) to hike but it only shows the trail at your feet. Take note that colored lights also change the color of the white blazes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools