Topic

GG Mariposa Plus vs. SMD Starlite Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Mariposa Plus vs. SMD Starlite Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

I've been looking at both of these packs and was hoping to hear from others who have used them. They both seem pretty similar in overall volume, pocket configuration, price, weight and suspension systems with each having removable stays and a pad pocket.

But, while the Starlite seems to have a close suspension system to the MP, it isn't exact. It seems like it can be customized a little more with the addition of load lifter straps and it has those great pockets on the hip belts.

But the Mariposa Plus is slightly cheaper and it included a small pad for the back, while the Starlite doesn't. And you can customize the bungee straps on the MP.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

While on paper the Starlite and Mariposa Plus seem to have similar volumes, the Mariposa Plus and the Comet are actually closer, see the photo comparison in this test:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gossamer_gear_mariposa_plus_backpack_review.html

If you aren't in a rush, Gossamer Gear says they are coming out with curved stays, and a few other changes to the Mariposa, sometime this year.

Myself, I chose the Comet, and like it a lot: good volume for me, comfortable suspension, and real, not bungee, compression straps, which I find to be key when going frameless.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I've got the Starlite and used it this summer for a 7 day trip on Isle Royale and using a prolite 3 for my support it handled
    29# with no problems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools