Topic

Winter stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Winter stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I've just finished mod of my Primus Omnifuel stove. The goal was to make it easier and faster to use on snow. It will make it possible to start melting snow for water even before setting up a shelter.

I've used just the burner with tube and valve from the original stove. I intend do use it with inverted gas canister.

The burner connects to a thin plywood base. Light aluminium cone serves as a wind protection as well as pot stand.

Total weight is 400 g, about the same as the original stove and windscreen.

The setup works fine (at home only so far), the only downside is that I have to light the stove first and then put the cone on. I tried to add a piezo ingiter to fix this, but it was to weak for this type of burner.

WinterStove1

WinterStove2

WinterStove3

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice set-up :)

Get yourself some of those long matches used to light BBQ grills, cut them to the length needed to make them reach inside. Use bamboo skewers with ends soaked in vaselene, light with butane lighter.

Or just let the gas run for a few seconds and light through the outside holes, poofffff :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jan

Welcome to the exclusive BPL Canister Stove Modifier's Club. That is very elegant indeed. What is the weight?

I assume you will be inverting the canister with this? It should go just fine.

My only concern would be the life of the plywood. A little bit of light Al sheet over it to reflect heat might prove to be necessary after a while.

Cheers
    Roger

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

If the base was metal, you could just bolt the stove on permanently and lose that metal bracket. I've wished I could do this with my old Multifuel — a very worthy stove but crying out for lightening and streamlining.

Ultimately I wanted to order one of the forthcoming titanium 2L caldera cones and add air ingress and egress ports, then bolt the stove to a piece of titanium sheet as a base.

But having the idea is of course only about 0.1% of the challenge…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools