Topic

Bushbuddy-compatible cookpot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bushbuddy-compatible cookpot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Could anyone suggest a 1.3L-ish capacity cookpot that will nest the Bushbuddy wood stove, preferably nice and light? The FireLite SUL-1100 is currently OOS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The price is between 2.50 and 5.00 at Walmart:
    Stove & Mug
    IMUSA Mug

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

John-

How does the aluminum hold up to wood fires?

Thanks!

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

OK – great! I see the related thread now…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/11312/index.html

Still not quite clear on the volume of the IMUSA mug recommended here.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Jed A – Aluminum will hold up just fine, AS A POT, on wood fires.

Brett T – The BB creator sized it to fit a SP900 pot, which are readily available. The BL 900 is the same pot used in the Trail Designs Tri-Ti and is slightly wider and shorter than the SP900.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jed,

I don’t know of any problems with using aluminum pots or mugs with wood burning stoves. The Bushbuddy would seemingly not burn as hot as a canister stove. More than just a few, it seems, use beer cans and other more fragile improvised cookware in conjunction with these stoves. I just don’t know. I have other pots made from aluminum and assume that is their intended use. I chose this particular mug because of the fit with the Bushbuddy Ultra. It fits like they were made for each other and the mug protects this fragile, lightweight stove from being mangled inside my pack.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Jed A

It's important to have water in any pot that you expose to a direct flame or you'll probably experience warping. I've used a Heine pot over my DIY BB, and so long as it's filed there's been no problem.

-Michael

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Hey y'all-

It makes sense that with water in the pot you are safe with flimsier materials. I guess where there is water, the pot can only be a little hotter than the boiling point. If it was empty I suppose the pot would just approach the heat of the flame, which, using the magic of the internet, can ran from 300*C to 600*C at the flame tip to between 900*C and 1200*C at the continuous flame region.[1]

Meanwhile the melting point for Al is 660.32*C. Definite problems with an empty pot. In contrast, Ti has a melting point of 1668*C. No problem there![2]

Just FYI.

Jed

[1] http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html
    [2] http://www.webelements.com/

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

I have looked for this mug at every Walmart I come across, plus anytime I'm near a cookware section in any store. Nada.

I have also contacted IMUSA, using a spanish-english translating site. They appear to be a very big company. Not surprisingly I did not get a response to a request for help locating a $5 mug.

Has anyone got a recent lead on these things? I would buy a handful.

I was going to grind off the handle on my expensive Snow Peak and fashion a bail. Grinding of the handle on the lid took at least a half hour. I'd rather do this on an IMUSA mug.

Anyone, anywhere got a CURRENT source?

Paul

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Jed A is right, no way on green earth is a BB is going to get hotter than a GST-100S. And that didn't do jack to my SP600 in my Titanium Burn Test. So, dry-burning Ti isn't going to do anything.

Oh, and yes, with thin materials water limits material temp to roughly the boiling temp of the water (maybe 1* higher on the surface). Now, thick materials is a different story.

Paul W – Sarah K mentions a different IMUSA pot on her Blog, she recommends looking in the latino areas of your local supermarkets. If you have a market in a predominantly latino neighborhood, even better.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Josh,

We do, and I will. Thanks.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Unfortunately 900-1000ml pots don't cut it for me. The FL SUL-1100 is at the bottom end of do-able, capacity-wise. I'm finding 2L pots that would fit the BB, but this size is overkill. Anyone in the same boat with a known solution?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

If it'll fit in the SP900, it'll fit in the SP1400.

In reality, whatever you get it's going to rattle around in at those volumes.

Another option would be the FL SUL-1300 could work.

However, the outer pot of a MB Alpine Cooker #2 isn't going to me too shabby of a fit. It's HA rather than Ti, but that's not too bad…

45.5 US fluid ounces = 1 345.5956 ml so it meets volume requirements

Hmmm… a GSI ULTRALIGHT SOLOIST COOK SYSTEM should fit it and has a 1100 ml volume.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Great info, Joshua. Thank you.

I long ago predicted my Evernew 1.3L would outlive me. And it probably will. But it's time for a new approach, sans alcohol, especially with all the desert trekking I do.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

If your BB is rattling around, you could always pack some food around it to secure it a bit, and reduce your pack volume.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Would this be the same as the so called "grease pot" that could supposedly be found at Wal Mart? I, too, had no luck finding anything resembling this, and I looked in housewares, camping, etc,

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

As mentioned WinCo is carrying a number of IMUSA stuff now in their Latino section. I am hedging now that the Hispanic and Latino stores should start showing up with the mugs. Next time I am up North in a certain town that has a huge migrant population I am going to check that theory out.

As for the GSI Soloist…I love mine, but…for really hard line UL'ers it is just too heavy. Still it is a gorgeous set.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I too had trouble tracking down the infamous IMUSA mug. I looked at every walmart within a 15 mile radius of my house, no luck. When I was out doing some errands on the other side of Atlanta, I just happened to stop inside of the Walmart there and stumbled upon oodles of them. This is much better than dropping so much more money for a pot that is relatively the same weight, and can hold over a liter of water. I'm sold. Keep looking!

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>I looked at every walmart within a 15 mile radius of my house, no luck.

Does anyone else here find it absolutely terrifying that the corporate overlords think we need that many f@cking Walmarts?

Suburban wasteland indeed…Stuff like that makes me so angry. Anyway…

Back to talking about cook pots. Sorry.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Monty, no it's not the same as the Walmart Grease pot since it is a narrow pot diameter.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

>>Suburban wasteland indeed…Stuff like that makes me so angry. Anyway…

Actually it says "Suburban Wateland," which presumably is British, and likely quite nice by the sound of it.

Francisco Vazquez

@xtremeadesign

Locale: in the Sierra Madre

I buy one and my stove fits well on it, is very light, but feels strong, i found it here in Walmart and other store named Soriana the price was $2.10 US +- the bad notice is i live in Mexico in Monterrey, but if someone in here, lives close to the border, he can buy some in Walmart, HEB or for sure you can find in Soriana, there are a lot of Soriana in the Cities of the border, and send to the others in US, are other, same size but with lid, is the vasconia grease pot (not the walmart) is thick, light and some best make.

Chris Bates

@cbatesnc

Eric-

What section was it in when you did find it at Wal-Mart?

Thanks

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I found it in the kitchen section, I believe near the pots and all. I've even looked at other walmarts since and have been unable to find them. You just have to be lucky to find the right store. Out of all of the stores I've been to in the ATL metro area, only one had it. good luck. It's a good pot for me.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I found some nice thin spun stainless jars in sets of three for £5 (You know, tea, coffee, sugar) at my local cheap goods store. Without the lid they weigh 122g – about 4 1/2 oz. Not UL, but some prefer stainless to aluminium, and don't want to pay Ti prices. They are 4 1/8" diameter and 5" high. Capacity is 860ml to an inch below the top – about 4 cups maxed out.

Anyways, have a look around for spun stainless biscuit barrels and sugar jars as well as pots and pans. If anyone wants this particular dimension, PM me and I'll grab some more before they are gone.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools