Topic

Ice axe for “non-technical” use…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Ice axe for “non-technical” use…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

What is the intended use of the Grivel AirTech Racing Ice Axe (14.8 oz – sold at ProLite Gear)?

I am nowhere near the point of roping up and climbing anything vertical, but the peaks I hike in the summer (above 11,000 feet) I would like to do in the winter. There are spots that get fairly steep, but not anything where you would need ropes. (I think. If you don't hear back from me, I needed ropes.) I can't get by with the ULA Helix because of the potential for sliding right? Will the AirTech do what I need? What about the CAMP Corsa Nanotech?

Any help would be appreciated.

GARY HEBERT
    BPL Member

@garyhebert

Locale: New England

I thought the Helix Potty Trowel (74cm-5.4oz) or the CAMP Corsa (75cm) 7oz sounded perfect for non-technical snow travel up and over or traversing steep pitches where use is limited to self belay and/or self arrest. (with the caviat that the former is of course NOT rated for anything but cat holes)

anyone's thoughts????

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gary-

At around a $100 you cant beat the CAMP Corsa!
    Weight: 205g / 7 oz, 7075 aluminium alloy B-rated head and shaft. Ideal for easy glacier travel, ski mountaineering and adventure racing. A solid Ice Axe that just feels a little more reasuring then the Helix Potty Trowel (74cm-5.4oz). Yes I have both

-Roger

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools