Topic

Powdered peanut butter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Powdered peanut butter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

Just learned about it in the paper. Powdered peanut butter available from Bell Plantation called PB2.

http://www.bellplantation.com/

It is an ultrafine powder made by roasting and pressing peanuts, which removes much of the fat.

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hmmm – I want peanut butter on the trail for the fat!

Looks like a great product to reduce food weight – but I would miss the fat.

-martin

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I believe Walton Feed also carries it

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

isn't peanut butter useful because of its high caloric content by weight? so if most of the drying process is removing the oil…

seems like you'd create something less calorically efficient by weight AND add an additional product that requires hydration…

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

I suppose an added "use" of peanut butter is it's taste and it's uncanny ability to make yucky food palatable. In terms of energy, if the bottle of powder weighs the same as a bottle of peanut butter, then yes, you would lose caloric concentration (fat produces 9 calories of energy per gram while protein and carbohydrates produce only 4 calories per gram). I assume that only carbs and proteins are left in the powder. We are going to buy a bottle tomorrow and let you know.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

if nothing else, it could make for a killer addition to trail curry… mmm…

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Pad Thai anyone?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

gotcha – i wasn't thinking of it as a flavoring – was thinking of peanut butter on pitas, etc.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I just ordered some from BePrepared.com after I determined it was really made from peanuts and not peanut flavored powder as offered by some companies. It's mixed with water 1:1, so there will be a little bit of weight savings. And yes, there will be fewer calories unless a dab of oil is also added. Anyway it should be interesting to see what it's like.

Sarah Welton

@campgirl

I’ve tried both PB2 and the Walton Feed powdered peanut butters and I thought that everyone else might be interested in the differences:

The nutrition facts are about the same on both. The peanut powder from Walton doesn’t really have any additional fat (a tiny bit, but not much)– I guess they lose the oils when they dry it so it doesn’t really matter which one you get as far as fat content goes.

The PB2 has salt and sugar added so that it tastes like real peanut butter where the Walton peanut powder doesn’t (or at least not as much – I don’t have the package with me so I’m not 100%) so it’s a little bit bitter. I guess it depends on what you’re going to use it for – if you’re going to eat it straight or mix it into a recipe.

You can also use the Justin’s peanut butter if you want to keep the fat content up although you’re not going to loose the weight this way.

We have the PB2 and the Justin’s on our website:

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Nut-Butters-c47.html

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I've also made powdered peanut butter by adding tapioca maltodextrin. Sadly it didn't make it any lighter… just not as messy. Works with Nutella and other fats too.

edited to spell maltodextrin properly (and I am still not sure if I have it correct)

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi all! Well it finally arrived. Now I have a 1 gallon can (2 lb 15 oz) of peanut butter powder. Good thing it doesn't taste all that bad when reconstituted!
    Ingredients: partially defatted peanut powder.
    Calories/2 Tbsp: 70
    Fat: 35
    Sodium: 5 mg
    Carbohydrate: 3 g
    Protein: 7 g

Suddenly I have an urge to go make some cookies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools