Topic

Cooking Mishap–am I still safe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cooking Mishap–am I still safe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

For Joshua and other ti-tri bakers.

I took the Evernew sierra cup and removed the wire handle. Then I marked the cup at the same height as the 12-10 stove. By cutting it to the same height as the stove it can now fit under the sierra cup.

I cut the cup slightly above the mark with Wiss snips. Then I sand the cup down smooth with metal emery paper to the marked line. It would be safer with a rounded lip but dont know how to do that, torch maybe? I have not had any problems but dont want anyone to sue me if they cut their lips. I warned you.

Cut down Sierra Cup

Here are some pictures of my system.

Mesh Bag on

The pink handels are painted on platinum silicon from smooth-on. We will see how long they last with using wood.

Mesh Bag Removed

You can see in this picture how 12-10 stove nests in the sierra cup.

System Broken Out

To get the ziplock container to fit you need to cut of some plastic edging on the ziploc's rim and sand down the bumps on the ziploc lid.

Sanded Lid

Everything does nest pretty nicely in the pot. Needed to cut down the measuring cup a little.
    Inside pot

I had to enlarge the center hole in the pot lid so that the thermometer would fit.
    Baking thermometer

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I eliminated a few of the Re:s to preserve the subject line.

g.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Nicely done, Jason. I really like the setup.

Now to find a usably inexpensive ti sierra cup…

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Alcohol is typically denatured by adding some combination of methanol, isopropanol, acetone, MEK, MIK, naphtha, or other nasties. This renders it unfit for human consumption (can cause blindness or death), and likely renders the fumes acutely toxic. Some formulations have additives to make it taste bitter, smell bad, and/or induce vomiting. It would seem unwise to smell it while burning.

You might consider using Everclear if you intend to continue previous practices!

Your new psychedelic Ti (and TiO2) pot is fine. Your baking methods may require work, but I can't help you there – my specialty is boiling water.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Hey thanks for reminding me about using Everclear. Unlike many places, it's readily available in central TX.

I've been wondering, in terms of BTU/oz, does it compare favorably with other alky stove fuels like denatured and the methanol blends that tinny likes? What about burn characteristics? In short, is Everclear a good indoor-safe fuel to use in place of denatured, and maybe on trail too?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Really, the only difference between Everclear and Denatured is that denatured has toxic compounds added to it. Everclear is, more or less, pure food grade ethanol. BTU whould be the same as denatured and higher than methanol.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

And what about the byproducts of combustion? I know the SLX denatured can advertises that it burns clean–which is clearly not true based on my headache–but since Everclear doesn't have any of those extra nasty ingredients, does this mean it's safe to burn indoors (and/or under a tarp)? Does it actually burn "clean" ?

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Any alcohol combustion cycle would have the potential to generate carbon monoxide. Different sort of headache – one that you might not wake up from.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools