Topic

Daily fuel usage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Daily fuel usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

How much fuel does everyone use each day?

This clearly depends on fuel type, temperature, wind conditions, cooking style, and how many meals are cooked each day.

I take a canister stove (and windscreen), model depending on how many people. We usually cook only dinner, unless it is cold, in which case we heat up water for breakfast. Dinners can be complex, often requiring two pots. Also, we clean up the dishes and sometimes ourselves with hot water after dinner.

That said, we use 12-20 grams/day/person, with 15 grams typical. 20 is for when it's colder and windy, and we heat water for breakfast. 12 is when it's mild and dinner is simple.

This seems to be independent of stove: MSR pocket rocket, Primus micron, Coleman F1 powerboost, and Coleman Xtreme.

I suspect we use more fuel than most.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

With a canister stove, we use a 230g canister ~ every 2.5 days (for 2 people). We're big eaters, especially at dinner (boiling 4-5 cups water plus simmering), and also have 1-2 cups each coffee for breakfast, sometimes hot oats, and hot soups in the afternoon. If time permits a cup of tea in the afternoon can also be enjoyed :)

Our fuel economy has recently increased with the use of a Caldera Cone as a windscreen though. Time will tell what the overall savings in fuel will be with this system, as we are moving more towards Esbit cooking with the cone. Certainly the BEST fuel economy we've seen has been combining the MSR windpro with the 2qt caldera cone and pot, and butane canister, but the extra weight of the stove/canister means that the overall weight savings do not eventuate with this setup compared to the same cone and pot with Esbit tabs (no canister to carry) and 3g Ti Esbit stand!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> 12-20 grams/day/person, with 15 grams typical.
    > I suspect we use more fuel than most.

No Elliot, you use less than most.
    I use about the same as you, but state it as 30 g/day for my wife and myself. But I have found that many people tell me that my fuel amounts are far too low, or even impossible. Clearly possible. :-)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools