Topic

Smaller pot size

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smaller pot size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Most of my hiking trips are with a group of 3 and our meals consist of freeze dried packaged meals like those from "Mountain House". I carry a Snowpeak 1900ml pot to boil the water, which I then just put back into the pouch, seal it up and wait 10 minutes.

I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before, but I really don't need a 1900ml pot to boil 500ml [16 ounces] of water. I guess it would make sense to actually just use my 600ml cup to boil water.

Any thoughts or is this a no brainer?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Ah, yup that's pretty much the way to go. Just curious, what stove are you using? If the burner pattern is too wide, it may not match up to your 600 very well. However, as long as that's not an issue, yeah, just boil in the 600. Oh, and keep the burner output low, with the smaller mugs it's easy to burn way more fuel which doesn't actually help the water boil any faster but just throws heat away from the mug.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Good question! I'm going to get a Tri-Ti custom for my Brasslite 600ml so it will be perfect.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Woohoo! Another Tri-Ti Convert!!!! I believe you'll find that will work perfectly…

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Frank, I think you've got it. For boil & set cooking you don't need a big pot. Moving to a smaller pot may also require a smaller stove. Everything scales down. That's also led to my need for less pack volume.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools