Topic

Northern CA Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Northern CA Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

kool & the gang!

davis works just fine & thanks jay & patrick – so this is a friday departure then, right?

cbert
    at
    omsoft
    dot
    com

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Locale: No California

Yes Friday departure we will coordinate a time next week. Probably a time after work on Friday outside of traffic but earlier enough so we are not getting there too late…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Coming up Saturday morning. Maybe we meet at Badger Pass parking lot? Again this is all depending on weather. If a storm is rolling in, I cannot afford to get stuck on Badger Pass Rd. I cannot miss any work. Looking forward to this quite a bit here. Should be very cool.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Perfect we can meet in the badger pass parking lot. I will call and see if I can reserve a permit although I doubt they are hard to come by.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Patrick:

You don't need to call in advance for any permitting. There's a ranger station in an A-Frame structure near the lifts. Ask inside the lodge, they'll point it out. Go there and tell the ranger how many people in your party, you'll fill out a trip report. Come prepared with license plate numbers and he'll give you a parking permit for the cars staying overnight. Anyone who shows up later will go to the station and reference your trip permit/report by name and also get an overnight parking permit.

Keep in mind, too, the costs of entering the park. $20 per car or $80'ish for the year long National Park Pass.

Good luck guys, yer gonna have a blast. Wish I could be there but I got a hot date .

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

right now extended forecast looks good: clear to mostly sunny, light wind, high of 39 low of 15 for that saturday

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Patrick,

Count me out, I'm not going to be able to go. My daughter is applying for college and needs me to attend an interview that weekend. Hope to join you next time.

Anthony

Anonymous
    Inactive

Better check again… As of Feb 17 8:45am

Friday Feb 22 Showers High 47°F Low 29°F Precip chance 40%

Saturday Feb 23 Mostly Cloudy High 47°F Low 30°F Precip chance 20%

Sunday Feb 24 Showers High 46°F Low 27°F Precip. 40 %

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

weather.com still says 39/15 mostly sunny wind 8mph from SW

if it's gonna be stormin, i'm wuusing out!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Me too! But lets say that this weekend does not work there is always another weekend. Let's see what happens closer to that weekend.

To all, you will need a snow park pass to park your car overnight….right?

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Yeah we will all need parking passes. I am commuting so we should be cutting down on cars. I still think it is a little too far out to trust the weather reports. I will start thinking about weather a couple of days before. No matter what I am going to Groveland.

I hope some people make it. We will go for the official count next Wed.

patrick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Patrick that sounds about right.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Here is the 10 day forecast. Not looking too bad. Lets keep and eye on it. No matter what I will be going to Groveland so people are welcome. Worst cast we do some very long day hikes. Best case we hike out to glacier point and camp.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/tenday/999953019:11

Anonymous
    Inactive

Friday Feb 22 Snow Flurries Hi: 35° Lo: 25°
    Chance of light snow showers. High 35F and low 25F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Precip chance 50%

Saturday Feb 23 Snow Flurries Hi: 35° Lo: 25°
    Chance of light snow. High 35F and low 25F. Winds S at 25 to 30 mph. Precip chance 55%

Sunday Feb 24 Snow Flurries Hi: 34° Lo: 24°
    Likely light snow. High 34F and low 24F. Precip chance 70%

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Saturday from what I am hearing is more than what that forcast is called for. I'd love to go but I cannot afford getting stuck in the mountains, especially with the fact that I am with my boss on Monday. Sorry guys I have to pull out. Have a great trip!! I wish the weather was going to be like it has been the past two weeks but I am not god.

If anyone is interested, I would love to do some spring to fall trips on the weekend. All of my friends are making babies and cannot backpack this summer.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Ken,
    I am going to head up a Lost Coast trip some time in Late April?
    There is even a shuttle to take bake to make the trip more fun.

Has there been a desition between Dewey Pt. or Glacier Pt. yet?

What I was going to do got cancled so I may go if there are still some heading up.

Dave T

@davet

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Aaron,

I am still definitely going. I as hoping to do Glacier Pt but I am open to either. I am heading up Fri night and staying at my cabin in Groveland and then hoping to get an early start on Sat. I was going to go for an official roll call tomorrow but we might as well start now.

Patrick – definite

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I can't afford to miss work right now as our last trip left 40 of us snowed in. Maybe the fallowing weekend.I really want to go back again.
    Josh

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Josh,

I am definitely heading up this weekend but I would be up for next weekend as well. The more experience I get in the snow the better. Also it is close so I can head out almost any weekend.

patrick

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

still going?

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

I am in. Now we just have to figure out meeting times.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yeah I am out too. Storm will be on Saturday and Sunday. I just cannot afford to miss work guys. I am very sorry. Though, just like Joshua is saying, I am up for the next weekend as long as the weather report is favorable.

Aaron that sounds cool. I have never been to the Lost Coast. April is a good time. I am do for some vacation time. Let's start planning!!!!!!!

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Aaron and others,

While we plan for the Lost Coast trip, or another area, in April. I'd like to see the schedule develop around the mid/end of April. I just committed to a nightmare of dental extractions starting in mid-March with two teeth and then all four 3rd molars in the first week of April. Those Wisdom teeth are going to need a couple weeks of healing.

I know, Aaron, yer thinking, "how can this guy have even less teeth than when I met him?"

-Michael "sawchuck"

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

It would have to be the third week in April. Last weeks of each month do not work for me due to work commitments. I am in sales and have to close out the month the last week of each month…..sucks….!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools