Topic

Outreach of BPL’s website… how many people?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Outreach of BPL’s website… how many people?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

How many people would you guess are somewhat active here at BPL (search the forums or read the articles once or twice a week at least)? Maybe it's just because this is the only backpacking forum/site I really ever visit, but it seems like this is THE place to be for the UL/SUL crowd. Are we talking 100 people, 500 people? More? And how many of those people do you think are "really into it", i.e., remove the extra buckle off your bag, weigh the zip-lock baggie you put your first-aid kit in, etc.

When Ryan wrote "The Bible" he said he only found a handful of people in America and Europe who practice sub-5lb trekking on a consistent basis. I can't help but think that this site has changed that dramatically.

P.S. Let's not get into the fight about whether we like the increasing popularity or not. We've been through that one.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I was just talking to my buddy about this the other day. I definitely recognize the names of those who post often, and it really isn't that many….I wonder how many people have subscriptions with BPL? If I had to guess, I would say 300 or so – but I really have no idea.
    I backpack with a group of guys on a regular basis, and only one of them weighs stuff like me. He isn't quite as crazy as me with dropping weight, but he is getting there. Although it is growing, I don't think many people are "really" into the UL thing.
    As for the sub 5 lb pack, I don't even find it that hard to achieve in good weather and a minimalist approach. But, I have to admit, I'm usually at 7.5 lbs, and it's quite comfy.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

I think Steve is probably right about the numbers of people truely doing ultralight or SUL. I visit this site for new gear and techniques. My baseweight hovers around 12 pounds. I figure alot of people are in the same boat a myself, definately lightweight maybe UL, but content to let other deal with the issues the SUL fringe brings.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

I tend to come and go in spurts. I'll go through spells where I will visit multiple times a day and post all those times as well. Then, for some reason, I may go a few weeks without dropping in.

It really all depends on whether the articles interest me or I happen across threads in the forum that get my interest or lead me to post.

Ronald Cordell

@roncordell

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm the same – I have a lot of things going on; working during the day, teaching classes at the gym, that sort of thing. I come and go to the site, usually more as a result of the emails I get that have an interesting article.

I also hike with a group of guys of which only one other has an interest in UL, and we each have a BPL subscription. We share what's going on with each other, but the others don't have much interest, which is odd since we're all getting older.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools