Topic

Gossamer Gear “The One” Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear “The One” Video

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Moeller

@chimble

I also ordered mine the day they were put up for sale, and according to UPS, tomorrow it will arrive.

Cameron.

EDIT:

Its here! But no time to play with it… Stupid class.

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

An update on the One….

My life has been crazy for the last month. Springtime has arrived in Santa Barbara. The bees are finally on the move and swarming, I am building up my lost colonies. Unlike my bees and their plight with CDC, I suffered from a bad case of NDD = Nature Deficit Disorder!

So when the One arrived a couple of weeks ago, I had the perfect opportunity to cure my NDD, take two short overnight trips to one of my favorite campgrounds in the Los Padres Forest – Forbush Flats.

Prior to these trips, I reviewed the video of Glen Van Peski demonstrating how to set up the One:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/The_One.html

This video gave me the basic steps on setup, but there is nothing like a true life experience, so after two weekends of "playing" with the One, here is my setup:

The One and sleeping system

My impressions:

1. Lighter than my favorite Rainbow by approx. a pound.
    2. Easy and quick to set up; I timed myself at 3 minutes. 
    3. Uses two trekking poles for structural support (Works well with adjustable poles; ideal length is 125 cm but can work with 115 cm fixed lengths and slight modifications).
    4. Very sturdy in wind, little noise if everything is cinched down and taut. 
    5. Spacious feeling, ability to sit up in center.
    6. Zippered entrance system is easy to get in and out, no obstruction from the off-set pole. 
    7. Zippered vestibule is better than a velcro system; no sticking problems with bug mesh
    8. Great ventilation system.
    9. Nice to have added flashlight clip and accessory mesh bag.
    10. Packs nicely in its spinnaker sack and fits horizontal in my Miniposa pack
    11. Comes with a 2 pack medium Polycryo ground cloth, share one with a friend.

In addition, I tested a new sleeping system:

A Montbell 30 degree bag + Torsolite pad (10 oz) + shortened GG 1/4” Thinlight Insulation Pad (3 oz) .

The weight of the two sleeping pads is less than a Prolite 4 (17 oz). Their combined R value (3.5 + .90) is more than a Prolite 4 (3.2). Less weight with the same comfort; could make for a good winter pad system.

In addition, the Thinlight gives good adhesion to the One’s spinnaker floor, prevents the Torsolite from slipping around during a restless night, and provides some insulation under my legs.

An extra feature of this system: the Thinlight pad, folded in 5ths, provides support in my GG Miniposa. The Torsolite pad, folded in 4ths slips, into the pack’s interior hydration sleeve.

I love the Montbell Super Stretch bags! No claustrophobic feeling…

This tent and sleeping system will now be my choice of equipment when I do PCT section A in a couple of weeks and the JMT in July.

Beeman

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Does anyone know if they'll be coming out with a "The TWO"?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Larry Risch

@dayhiker

Something like the DUO for another say 4 oz (The Double Rainbow is 8 oz more than the Rainbow) would be nice!

I think the Rainbow and Double Rainbow with their poles would never be as light as this ONE, but then they wouldn't need trekking poles.

Zipper sounds nice, but I like the porch on the DR and not sure zippers would work that well with that, try switching in a storm for instance. Zipper would be more water proof?

16 oz even though it is smaller is tempting. Still I don't always use trekking poles, so it would be a special useage only.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Any word on price and availability of the Cuban version? Not sure the price would be worth it for saving 4 oz… but I'd be curious to know.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools