Topic

Derma-safe Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Derma-safe Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Squires

@shinfuro

I found a cool little knife that is essentially a foldaway razor blade. It is super sharp and very light. It weighs about .28 ounces. I paid $1.85 for it. It meets all my cutting needs while in the woods, they are disposable and inexpensive. I switched to this from my swiss army knife. You guys may find them useful too.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Where did you get it at?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Jesse Squires

@shinfuro

I bought them here. http://www.survival-gear.com
    They can be bought by the hundred at derma-safes website. May be something to be added to the Backpacking Light shop.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Even if it isn't the same, the count comm one is rather nice. and sharp…

Also they're SERE saw sounds potentially useful if one does wood stoves and wants to chunk thicker twigs smaller than hands can make.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

If/when the blade on this is broken or worn, can it be replaced or do you have to buy another?

Jesse Squires

@shinfuro

You will have to buy another. I bought five myself, one for the pocket, one for my pack, and three replacements.
    They are so cheap I dont mind buying the extras and they are incredibly sharp so watch out.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Watch for these in the BPL store coming soon. As Jesse says, they are "super sharp and very light." It weighs in at 7.59g (.27oz).

Derma-Safe Folding Razor

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Dave T

@davet

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Yeah, that's outrageous. Shipping should be free for this item. Or, maybe $1.00.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I haven't a clue where we got them, but we have had similar ones in our house for years. love them! They are actually quite hard to break. I keep one in all our cars as well.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I'd love to get one, but I placed an order about an hour before they came up and I'm certainly not going to pay such crazy shipping rates for a razor.

These will have to wait till my next purchase.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I carry an el cheapo pocket knife purchased from Wal Mart — love its low price and light weight. But I always have this nagging question: the time when I really need a blade — how truly useful will this thing be?

No experience whatsoever with the Derma-safe knife, but the same nagging question arises. However, I am definitely intrigued and look forward to reading more user reports. Thanks for sharing, Jesse.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Yes, $7 shipping was excessive. I adjusted the weight on it and it's now at $4.80. Ben, shipping something for $1.00 is not possible in this day and age. You can talk to the Post Office about that – not us. We charge the actual price of shipping, which is $4.80 and that doesn't include what it costs us to handle the item (people have to get paid too).

* Begin Sam's personal rant *My personal comment on this would be that it is environmentally irresponsible to be mail ordering a couple razors. That's a lot of fuel used to bring something so minimal right to your doorstep. These items make better add-ons to other orders. This will keep the shipping reasonable and the carbon footprint smaller. * End rant *

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sam:

The $1.00 suggestion was made by Jason Klass up above. :)

Dave T

@davet

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Or would you rather leave China out of the equation and pay $10.85 each plus $1 postage?

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Dave wrote: "i'm sure i could put 5 dermasafe razorblades in an envelope and mail it to Bozeman for a dollar. i might even try it just for fun."

You could. And if it actually arrived without postage due, you could officially call yourself lucky. If this seems unlikely, then review the latest USPS first class rate sheet:

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

You'll be forgiven if your eyes glaze over trying to figure it all out.

Dave T

@davet

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Not if it is lumpy or odd shaped.

Ok, ok, I know OT. Just the Post Office has very screwy new shipping rules now.

As well, one wouldn't be putting items in a regular envelope – it would be in a padded one and that ups the cost of shipping along with the cost of the person packing it/plus supplies.

Work an online business and you see fast how it adds up. Some orders cost less to ship than one pays, others cost more. It evens out at the end of the day.

Dave T

@davet

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How about reducing from $4.80 to $2.00? A buck for USPS (a little extra for the lumpy envelop) and another buck for some jolly ranchers for Addie and Sam? :)

PS: What are jolly ranchers anyway?

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

*gasp*

I can't even begin to imagine childhood without Jolly Ranchers. The name has been attached to many things, but for me, it was always the hard candy. The key is to let them melt in your mouth. If you bite down hard to break them, you either break them into pieces or your uppper and lower teeth are stuck together until the candy dissolves enough to pull them apart.
    I'm partial to cherry and grape.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Oh, ok… hard candies!

I grew up on chocolates — my two favorites:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools