Topic

Spinnsheet Ground Cloth-Tough enough?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Spinnsheet Ground Cloth-Tough enough?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

I would like to hear from anyone who’s put the Gossamer Gear Spinnsheet Ground Cloth through some trailworthy wear. Is it tough enough to stand up to the typical abrasion that a ground cloth gets…or must it be lain only in fields of heather?

Anonymous

I don’t know about Gossamer’s Spinnsheet Ground Cloth, but their even lighter and cheaper polycryro cloth held up for me very well over several nights of Sierra camping, and at $3.95 It contributed to my nearly one lb. of weight savings on my BD Lighthouse: carbon fiber poles (6.5 oz.), titanium stakes (1.3 oz), and polycro ground cloth (6.9 oz).

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with William’s assessment of Gossamer’s Gears lighter/cheaper Polycryro Cloth:
    Size Small: 32″ x 96″ Weight: 1.3oz. or Size Large : 72″ x 96″ Weight: 5oz. $3.95

It’s extremely tuff for the weight but does have an initial plastic odor.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I would say that the spinnsheet would be durable enough. I have one that Im going to cut fairly soon to make myself a “G6 like” pack. If you have any GG stuff its the same sort of material as that.

As for the polycro, go for that if you want weight reduction. Its plenty strong.

And again if you want to go lighter use half a mylar space blanket. little under 1oz and will last a few trips. any small holes can be repaired with a little cello tape.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have tried 1mil plastic and emergency space blankets, but neither would make it more than a day or two before I put a big hole in it.

I will add my voice as a third who has been delighted with the polycryro ground cloth. I have had mine out for something like 20 days and it’s still in good condition.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Does the Polycryro Cloth ground sheet make a horribly crinkly noise or is it more like the niose of plastic drop cloth?

Alan Amaya

@archeopteryx

The noise is more like a plastic dropcloth.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have both. The spinsheet is very tough. Much more so than the Polychro. I use the spinsheet on a regular basis.

Craig

eric levine

@ericlevine

I have both too.I rate the spinnsheet as tough, but I use the polycro for nearly everything.

One of my rationales is that if such cheap accessories don’t wear out, you can carry lighter ones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools