Topic

non-leather but tough, quick drying softshell gloves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) non-leather but tough, quick drying softshell gloves?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    P S

@petesull

I've been looking for very breathable, quick drying and warm gloves for the winter, no membranes/PU.

Almost all are made from leather, which I agree is tough and breathable, but dries very slowly. My ideal glove would be something like nylon exterior, primaloft insulation, brushed and wicking interior. Maybe nylon outside, and a heavy fleece interior.

I bought some Outdoor Research Credo gloves, advertised as nylon outside, fleece inside, but the fleece is very thin, and the XLs were too small for my hand.

The Cloudveil Trollers come close, as they're half leather, half Schoeller Dryskin with Primaloft.

You guys have any other ideas?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

You might check the Ibex Climawool glove. It's on sale right now at http://www.ibexwear.com for $59 (regularly priced at $85), and it has a good reader's review here at BPL.

The Ibex website describes the glove as follows:

"Tech Specs:

"Climawool® Double Weave Softshell w/DWR, Cordura® Nylon & Lycra® Exterior, 100% wool interior®
    "290 g/m2
    "Primaloft® insulation
    "Pittards® weather-resistant palm
    "18.5 micron Merino midweight interlock liner
    "Gusseted, adjustable cuff w/ Velcro closure tab
    "Soft, absorbent, nose-friendly thumb wipe
    "Imported Hand wash
    "Measure around widest part of hand for size chart
    "Average garment weight 6.3 oz./pair"

I recently purchased a pair, but have not put them to use yet other than for a long walk around the neighborhood during a recent freezing spell. Very warm & comfortable.

Can also tell you that they appear to be well made, like most all of the items sold by Ibex. My size Large weighs 6.21 oz — meeting the "average" weight per Ibex.

JRS

P S

@petesull

Those look like great gloves, however, they don't have any XL left on sale. Maybe I can find some for a bit cheaper than $85. Also, most reviews state that people sized up, and I already find XL in most gloves a bit small (long fingers).

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww
    P S

@petesull

Maybe I'm wrong about the leather and synthetic leather. Many companies use a lot of leather on their gloves–and nylon is almost always cheaper, so there must be a reason why.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!