Topic

Specs for MSR E -wing tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Specs for MSR E -wing tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chad Clay

@chadfromohio

Does anyone own an MSR E-Wing tarp? I previously posted re: MYO BD Firstlight vestibule and I thought rigging this small tarp from the apex of the tent out to a trekking pole would make a decent awning as well as work for all of the myriad functions of a tarp. I can't seem to find the specs either on MSR's sight or in the manufacturer's workbook, other than a vague "44 square feet." what is the length / width / etc., especially along the "ridgeline (longest diagonal measurement)?" Thanks for any info you might have.

George Mercer

@gamercer

REI wrote the long diagonal sides are 55", short sides are 36", and 96" between the two 36" sides. It appears to me that one could tether the center interior back tie to the back pole and stake the back corner down creating a three sided shelter. Do this to the front in a storm and it may give good all around protection.

Chad Clay

@chadfromohio

Thanks George, that's helpful. It sounds as if I can do what I want in regards to making an awning in front of and or over my Firstlight. I hope to use this combo on my upcoming AT thru-hike. I plan to do a shakedown hike sometime soon in the rain and use the E-wing as both an awning and a makeshift fly if driving rain becomes too much for the Firstlight's Epic fabric. The whole rig will be lighter than most 27 square foot tents I've seen ( 2 lbs 11 oz tent plus 6 oz tarp, and a few ounces of guyline = roughly 3 lbs or so). Also I plan to use the tarp as a poncho. If this works okay I'll leave my rain shell at home.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Chad if don't mind posting or emailing me your results. i too have a firstlight and have thought to do the same thing. Thanks, Jonathan

ulbkpkr_hville at yahoo dot com

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

Chad,

Could you post some photos and how this tarp worked out for you?

I would really appreciate it. I'm looking at using one of these as well.

Thanks

Pat

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Will K

@pingviini

I am a college student deciding whether or not the ewing will work as a tarp shelter, or at least something that can supplement my garbage bag bivy.

Did you find the apex length?

Frank Looper

@franklooper

I'm one of those that couldn't deal with just the square foot measurement. I juggled some numbers and came up with one that's really close. If anyone has one to measure, that would be even better!

Ridgeline of 10'
    Two equale sides 3.25 wide
    Each side has a 4' x 3.25' rectangle in the middle and a 3' x 3.25' right triangle on each end.
    Simplified math: ((4+3)*3.25)*2=45.5

I suppose that 1.5 square feet could have been lost with the catenary curves.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

IMO you would be better off getting an Oware Cattarp 1.1, this is a very nice tarp with enough coverage to use as part of a UL kit. The Cattarps are affordable, light, the materials and workmanship are excellent. Made in the USA is a plus.

The cost is equal but you will be getting a much nicer tarp.

Jared Blank

@jblank4

Locale: Rockies

I am currently using the MSR E-wing tarp as my main shelter along with a bivy. I most say, not the best choice. Please, don't get me wrong, I have spent many of Colorado Rockies best thundestorms under this tarp, and have been comfortable and dry. But I just don't like it. Recently it went through 30 mph gusts and the seams next to the anchor points are starting to pull-out. I am even hesitant to use it again. The design is not my favorite. Only 2 ways to pitch. It might be good for a vestibule of some sort, but I am retiring and getting a new tarp. I am thinking of using the ewing's fabric to make some stuff sacks, but i don't know about chopping 80 dollars into little bits.
    Thanks for your time and patience to read my post

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

I bought one, used it once and never again. In my opinion it is a bad design.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools