Topic

Meal Plan for thru-hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Meal Plan for thru-hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

RE: muffins, they can be very easily steam-baked in regular aluminum foil. Just use the base of a mug or a water bottle to form yourself a muffin cup to your desired shape and size. (Practice at home.) Works for cupcakes and brownies too…

RE: dumplings, I have *loved* these since they were a rare and special treat in our house when I was a kid. I made some while doing the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit and everyone laughed me out of the kitchen. So I guess they're solo food now.

People thought they were so gross looking that someone immortalized them in a photo. I didn't mind; they were delicious and I got all I could eat!

Check it out: Whole Wheat and Herb dumplings in Corn and Chowder with Crab

Photobucket

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Here in Ukraine and Russia we have a slightly different assortment of foods, and certainly none of the freeze-dried variety. I have been influenced by Ray Jardine in my recent development of trail diet (using whole grains and letting yourself take more food, but of natural origin). I have used this with great success up to four days in a row without tiring of anything, but I have not tested it in a real thru-hike.

Breakfast:
    I take a whole-grain cereal, add dried bananas, and pound it to reduce the size, then add milk powder and mix, then divide it up by days into sandwich bags. 250g each morning. Eat with cold or warm water added depending on what I feel like.

Daytime:
    Gorp with cashews, raisins, M&Ms, figs, and dried bananas, divided into 500g bags for each day

Dinner:
    Buckwheat with vegetable oil and cheese. Buckwheat is the most wholesome of the whole grains and is a traditional staple in Eastern Europe, but hard to come by in the U.S. I fill up half of a 1/2 liter bottle in the late morning or afternoon and fill up the rest with cold water, and by dinnertime the grains have softened and expanded and just need to be heated up, saving all of the nutrients. 250g per day.

I also take along honey and have some as I sip warm/hot water, because this hydrates you better than other hot drinks.

This set-up is simple and uses minimal fuel and provides 4000 calories in 1 kg of wholesome food a day.

Something I would like to incorporate is animal fat — a very popular super high-calorie backpacking staple in Eastern Europe that also helped Amundsen stay alive in his South Pole voyage. It doesn't sound too appetizing to American ears, but if you try it, you just may like it…

daniel pearson

@marronfoods

Due to the overwhelming response to the sudden end of the product known as Milkman, our company (Marron Foods) has decided to take over the production and distribution of this product. Our plan is to have it back on the market sometime this summer. For more information, please contact me at [email protected].

daniel pearson

@marronfoods

Due to the overwhelming response to the sudden end of the product known as Milkman, our company (Marron Foods) has decided to take over the production and distribution of this product. Our plan is to have it back on the market sometime this summer. For more information, please contact me at [email protected].

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I bring muesli for breakfast. In a ziploc bag: 1.5cups muesli (make it yourself or buy it from whole foods), 1/4cup nido, 1/4cup vanilla protein powder.

For prep, add 2 cups water and let is sit overnight. Or boil 2 cups water add the muesli and let it sit a few minutes. On the get up and go mornings the cold cereal is tasty and quick. On cold mornings the hot cereal warms the soul.

Note: this is a lot of food, about 1000 calories, and makes for a great foundation/start for the day.

Scott Smith

@trailrider

I always love to see a really good thread resurrected.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools