Topic

which backpack- confused

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) which backpack- confused

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I'm a new ultralight convert- coming down from 14 kilo weights to about 8/9 kilos- the last part of the jigsaw for me is the pack, I'm set for shelter (Shangri-La 3 for me and the wife, Gatewood Cape for me going solo) and for sleeping ( Rab top bag and thermarest womens prolite 3 full length with either a ground sheet or a bivy, depending on the weather/ shelter) but the pack is a worry- I'm confused.
    I have a Golite Ion for 1/2 night solo hikes in summer, and I've rigged a simple fishing net to the outside to hang wet gear for €5 which works great.

Options so far for one week hikes, solo, or me carrying the larger shelter for the wife (up to 2000m + Pyrenees GR routes):

ULA Catalyst, Aarn Featherlite Freedom or SMD Comet.

Forest for the trees anyone?

I'd love some opinions from users/ people who have been through this before please.
    cheers, fred

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Comet and the Catalyst are both very nice packs. You might find them a bit large if you are doing a top bag, tarp, and staying ultralight. I can't comment on the Aarn packs.

My favorite pack for 7-13kg (15-30lb) is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Not the most convenient pack, but super comfortable for me and plenty of others.

I have written up a brief summary of the 15+ packs I demo over the last seven years or so in my recommended light weight packs.

Johan Alvehus

@alven

Hi!

I'm also a newcomer to lightweight backpacking and I'm exactly in your situation: Which pack? I own an Aarn Featherlite Freedom which weighs in at 49 oz without the balance pockets. I love that pack for heavier loads (e.g. when I'm out with the kids), the "bodypack" system really works. But for starting loads around 25 lb it's slightly overkill, IMHO. Currently I'm looking at GoLite Jam2, which seems very nice, but MLD Super Prophet is also on my list (together with those you mentioned).

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Thanks for the replies so far, all helping with the choice.

I spoke with Aarn at Aarn Designs, who said maybe the Natural Exilaration with Compact Balance Pockets could be the solution. At 33 liters for the main pack, and an extra 7 for the pockets where I would store food and stove (MSR Pocket Rocket) and fuel/ 2 liters of water and thngs close to hand, it's currently my number one choice. It's listed at 43 liters on the Aarn website, I guess this includes the mesh pockets. He also said there were a couple of ultralight packs in the pipeline, but not for this summer.

I looked at the GG Vapor Trail, but the fabric doesn't seem robust enough for bushwhacking, which is sometimes necessary where I go, or rough contact with rock, so then I looked at the GG Alpine Vapor- much more robust fabrics, similar volume- but adding a waterproof liner brings it nearish to the Natural Balance weight, which has the balance pockets and is waterproof already.

I'm sold on the idea/ philosophy of Balance pockets, and the compact versions seem a great compromise to see the path/ trail better than the larger pocket options.

I've just bought a 32 liter container to see if everything fits, so if it does, I'll probably go with the Natural Balance.

Anything will be better than my current Lowe Alpine 2.4 kilo 80 liter monster which I have been using for 20 years. It's been everywhere with me- the Himalaya, Australia, Asia, China, the USA, and I used it last summer in the Pyrenees and I love it, but it does weigh a ton.

cheers, fred

Johan Alvehus

@alven

I've been considering the Marathon Magic with the balance pockets from the Featherlite. That would add up to 40 Litres, and would most likely work for me. Total weight wold be about 1140 g, a bit on the heavy side but carrying comfort will most likely compensate.

Interesting info about lighter options though…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I'm just waiting for Aarn to move into truly lightweight pack designs.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Aarn mentioned something about developing new Balance Pockets for the Marathon Magic for later in the year which would bump up the total volume significantly. With 30 liters in the main pack, and an additional 14 liters of space with the new Balance Pockets, the total capacity would be 44 liters, an increase of 11 liters on the current 33.

I really like the look of the Marathon Magic, and maybe it could be a solution for this summer in it's existing fomat, adding the flexibility of larger pockets for winter/ longer trips later as they are released.

I'm still assembling all my gear to see what the total volume will be, but it's good to know that Aarn Designs are coming up with innovative Ultralight options. Aarn is great to deal with by e-mail too.

cheers, fred

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Another vote for the Marathon Magic 55, by far my favourite pack, although I would probably try out the concept of front balance pockets before buying one.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have tried many packs. I a discounted Aarn last year and liked it so much I purchased a Marathon Magic 33 for solo hiking 4-5 days. A bear can fits up top nicely and it carries much better than any other framed or soft pack I have tried. Lots of straps and a bit heavier than perfect but just so good to carry. I cut some items off mine and had the balance packs sewed to the hip belt. I have no need to remove them ever as that is the intention of the design. The newer designed M Magic type packs offer a good range of capacity while not to heavy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great, a 2.5 year old thread rises from the grave!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools