Topic

Glaciers move, maybe Sigma does too

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Glaciers move, maybe Sigma does too

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Certain folks are all aquiver at Sigma's revised DP1 page.

http://sigma-dp1.com/

If nothing else, they're not abandoning the concept and perhaps will do more than a Web refresh and announce something less ghosty at PMA. In the meantime, gaze upon that large chip and ponder on what might be possible with such a small camera.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Rick
    I am a bit confused by your glacier analogy because the last few glaciers I looked at have been going steadily backwards.

In the meantime Pana have announced the FX35, an ultracompact camera with a 25-100 mm lens. They have changed their approach to noise reduction, so (in theory) this time the noise level will be lower and the detail will be retained. I may be playing with one of them in a couple of weeks time.
    About 5 oz inc battery.
    Franco
    A serious comment for a change.
    Some time ago we tested the Sigma SD 10. One of the guys at the shop is a real wizard in post processing so the A3 prints we ended up with were just sensational. In particular, to me, the portrait and nature shots looked more "natural" than from other DSLR and certainly as sharp and detailed as shots from 10 mp equipped models.
    I think that Sigma and Foveon realize that the SD1 could be the make or break camera, so they are making sure that they get it right. So, potentially this is "the" camera particularly for climbers.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There are several pictures taken with the SD1 on the net, 20 of them here
    http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
    Always hard to tell looking at shots on a computer monitor, I prefer to make my mind up when I see prints, however I like what I see.
    So it looks like the SD1 will hit the market soon.
    Franco

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools